Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my car back for the first time since Brands Hatch incident:
http://lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=239699

Drove it up to Rockingham...halfway there, a horrendous noise starting happening, a droning screeching whirring noise from what seemed like the rear of the car (back seats taken out so difficult to pin point).

Got to Rockingham, took rear tyres off to see if it was a noise caused by an abrasion. Nope. Anyways, took all 4 mudflaps off. Took car to Kwik Fit to remove a screw in tyre (just in case it was the worlds loudest screw).
No avail, noise is still there.

Car seems to handle OK. Did 4 casual laps of Rockingham (casual = following a Puegot 206). Then quit for the day.

The noise is independent of the engine. Doesnt vary with revs / gear / clutch. Noise disappears below 15 mph. Noise is intermittant. Was constantly on for 100 miles, then disappeared for 100 miles. Restarted after I was driving through London - great!

I am worried that is the driveshaft or the diff.

Did my broadside at Brands break more than superficial.

Have I spent £1800 polishing a 10 year old Japanese turd!?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possibly, but the engine behaves normally, with no loss of power.

Is there a pump associated with the AYC?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
is it rotational as in is it just when you are moving or does it speed up and slow down with the speed of the car ?

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
Something stuck under a brake pad?

I had high pitched noise happen once that was really worrying. Turned out my daughter had managed to wedge the intercooler spray button down and when the bottle emptied the motor made a horrible sound. I thought it was the fuel pump. :D

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it rotational as in is it just when you are moving or does it speed up and slow down with the speed of the car ?
It disappears below 15 mph, but the amplitude and frequency does not change with speed or gear.

Something stuck under a brake pad?

I had high pitched noise happen once that was really worrying. Turned out my daughter had managed to wedge the intercooler spray button down and when the bottle emptied the motor made a horrible sound. I thought it was the fuel pump. :D
Pretty sure not brake issue. I had all four wheels off and inspected the brakes...would have seen scouring on discs.
Intercooler pump...interesting suggestion.

Am taking it back to the garage I picked it up from 72 hours ago. So they better discover the issue.
Am just worried that it is some v expensive/terminal.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Not an arch liner they make a bit of a racket when loose and might explain if it stops under 15mph not enough wind speed to move it and intermittent just depends on how loose it is.....

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
AYC pump?? As far as im aware the hydrolic system is only under full pressure when the car is doing around 10 - 20 MPH, so would explain it coming in at around 15 MPH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts