Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

first post sorry if its in the wrong place.

I know nothing about cars but recently my 2005 Lancer Equippe only starts every so often. The battery is fine as its new and the inside light comes on when the door opens. When I put the key in the ignition the dashboard lights up, but when turning the key, half the time the lights all just cut out and the nothing happens. If its given a jump start it starts every time.

Took it for as long drive (25miles) yesterday and it started 2 out of the 3 times I tried it.

Does anybody know whats wrong before I go to a garage with it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
make sure your starting with the clutch in, not sure if it applies to this model but some cars need the clutch pedal to be down in order to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks il try that the next time it doesnt work, but whenever it does start Ive not put the clutch down

·
Premium Member
22,096 Posts
Hi

first post sorry if its in the wrong place.

I know nothing about cars but recently my 2005 Lancer Equippe only starts every so often. The battery is fine as its new and the inside light comes on when the door opens. When I put the key in the ignition the dashboard lights up, but when turning the key, half the time the lights all just cut out and the nothing happens. If its given a jump start it starts every time.

Took it for as long drive (25miles) yesterday and it started 2 out of the 3 times I tried it.

Does anybody know whats wrong before I go to a garage with it?

Thanks
does sound like your battery has failed, could well be worth getting it tested by the place you got it from. The inside light is not a sign the battery is fine, that uses minimal power, cranking an engine uses the biggest power draw a battery sees

Could also be a bad connection on the battery, or a failing starter motor, but it does sound like a battery fault. Lastly check all your interior lights, including boot, are going off once the doors are closed, if they are, it will be worth getting the current draw checked, with the keys out

Stu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts