Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has recently started suffering from what I would describe as a misfire. It happens at about 3500 RPM in most gears when accellerating hard and can hear a popping noise from the exhaust. It doesn't happen when accellerating slowly.

I have recently had the following parts fitted,

turbo back exhaust,
Ralliart ECU
Dawes device (boost at approx 1.4)
recirc dump valve.

Looking back previous threads it would seem that it may be the plugs thats causing this as I think its still running the standard plugs. (I am hoping its the plugs and not the coil packs)

Do you think its likely to be the plugs thats causing this and if so what plugs should i be changing to? (Denso Iridium IW24's)

Baz

·
Premium Member
14,884 Posts
Do you still have the original plugs fitted, what mileage?

Do you have an uprated fuel pump fitted?

When I upped the boost I changed mine to HKS Iridium S40G's, it could be that your plug gap is a bit wide and you are 'blowing' out the spark, common problem when upping the boost.

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big Elliott said:
Boost solonoid.

Maybe even a sensor /fuel/Oxygen mix maybe be out
Does the boost solenoid matter when using the dawes?

Fuel, O2 mixture should be ok as it was rolling roaded after the mods were fitted and it was running perfect then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would also say check the plugs and related ignition parts, check the HT cables for equal resistance. Im doubt that the Oxygen sensor would affect it, as you say its on wide open throttle when it happens, hence the ecu is running open loop.

oh yeah does Mr Turbo start spooling around 3.5k or is it higher up?

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jimmymc said:
i might have a spare coil pack if needed baz or even just too eliminate from the problem doesnt take two mins to change them over.
cheers jimmymc
Cheers for the replies folks and thanks jimmymc for the offer of the coil pack. Got a set of Denso Iw24 plugs and all is now well. :D

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
HAving same problem on a VII fq.

just ordered the plugs mentioned above.

Also found out from guy i ordered from.

reading left to right on coilpack.

3 contacts.

bridge 2 and 3 with a multi meter on resistance, ohms.

1.3 Ko it should read.

Guy on phone got that reading from a new one he had in stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.