Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The postie arrived today with my Moroso sump for the Evo 2 (I actually had to go to the Parcelforce depot to pay £55 Import duty and VAT :mad: )

Anyway, because this is designed for the DSM cars it needs modifying to fit, Some of the modifications could be done to the crank cradle to avoid turning an exquisitly welded and good looking Aluminium sump into a dogs dinner.

What needs done:

Trimming the edges off the shield/tray that sits around the oil pick up (sorry, don't know its proper name) - 10 minutes with some tin snips, a bench grinder, file and emmery cloth and job done.

I need to widen the edges of the sump that taper in at the f/w end or grind the cradle away by a few mm each side just at the lower corner/edge until the sump can fit home.

Alter the sump around the corner at the oil filter mount to fit onto the block over the cradle or again, grind the edge/corner off of the cradle so the sump fits.

Trim the edge off of the rear/outer bolt of the pick up pipe mount to clear the sump (needed at about 45 degrees to the angle of the pick-up pipe mounting flange.)
This would possible take a few threads off of one of the holes at the top or closed end but wouldn't stop the threaded hole from doing its job as there would still be about 5-7mm of the hole left, I suppose I could fit and threadlock a stud as a replacement to the bolt though.

modify the sump mounting flange so that the flat edge of the sump that fits at the belts end of the engine can fit to the raised profile of the Evo 2 engine. Maybe a spacer would work so i can leave the sump and crank cradle unmodified but I need to know the clearance between the sump and the parts of the car that run underneath in (Transfer box and exhaust). From what I can tell the spacer would beed to be a maximum of 10mm thick.

Changes to the sump would make it look messy, grinding a few mm off the cradle would be neater but i don't know if its safe to do. The spacer would be easy to make if I can find somewhere to cut some 10mm ali plate for me but i need to know how much room there is, can anyone tell me or take pics?

Any advice greatfully recieved.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the flywheel end of the cradle, areas trimming are sprayed grey. I wouldn't take it all off to start with, just a few mm at a time until the sump fits.

and this is the corner of the cradle where the oil filter is mounted.

This bit needs to come off the oil pick-up pipe mounting

If i lose too much material off of cradle at any corner I will get steel brace straps to go between the two main cap bolts at that side for extra support.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts