Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
561 Posts
you cannot mix blue with red or red with green or green with blue.

geen has been superceeded buy red so if you have green flush it all out and refill with red. this applys to any car out there blue isnt used much anymore more for the basic vehicles id go 50/50 mix personaly mabe a bit stronger if its sub sub 0 also i mix the water with the coolant before i fill the car to ensure its all properly mixed before it goes round the system.

dont mix colours basically

dave

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
another question, the comma xstream i was looking at says "VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bentley, Lamborghini (TL774-G) for cars from 2005 onwards." my evo is a 2003 so does this matter?

· Registered
226 Posts
Was in the same position when we got the car as it needed a little top up and came with blue in it but all the ralliart garages we spoke to just used the long life 'red stuff' and although they said not to mix the two weren't really sure what the difference was! :lol:
So after hours/days of research and finding lots of conflicting information/opinion about colours/mixing/best type etc. we decided it was just better to flush it completely and replace it all with an ethylene glycol based coolant - which although will need changing more often, it has a higher boiling point and better heat transfer properties than propylene glycol based coolant so worth the shorter service interval.

Also from what i remember when it comes to mixing coolant its not really the colour you have to worry about but certain ingredients/additives you can't mix, as they can react with each other lowering the corrosion protection (among other things). The problem is that different colours are actually manufacturer specific NOT ingredient specific which makes choosing coolant to top up your existing stuff very difficult without knowing what brand is already in there as one manufacturers blue stuff might be totally incompatible with anothers blue one!
Although with that said - as a general rule the blues/greens are normally ethylene glycol based with inorganic additives (older type with shorter life but faster acting protection and better cooling properties) and the oranges/reds are normally propylene glycol based with organic additives (newer longer life type but slower acting protection and less cooling ability) but again this is only a generalisation so not always true as it can vary depending on who makes it.

We went for pre-mixed motul inugel expert (blue) from opieoils in the end to save getting the dilution % wrong and save buying/making distilled water needed when mixing coolant from concentrate.

Hope this helps and havn't bored you too much! :smthumbup

· Registered
4,435 Posts
Just a quick one on this if anyone can help? What is the perfect mix coolant on an Evo? Also when bleeding existing coolant where should I bleed from? Sorry to hi jack thanks for help.
radiator drains from the bottom corner, driver side, there's a rubber o-ring and a wee plastic wingnut to allow coolant out.

if the o-ring has perished go to screwfix / B&Q for a replacement - mitsi wanted £27 from me.:shake:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.