Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can knock sensors cause performance problems but without bringing up a fault light as my performance changes from 1 minute to the next some times.yesturday the car was flying and its the first time its been like this for a couple of weeks or more but today it feels slow again like the timeing has been retarded.the way i tell is when its running good a you boot it the boost just pulls and pulls all the way but on a bad day its lost that poke to it but it still runs and holds the same boost.

·
Premium Member
9,730 Posts
if it was knackered it would show an engine light but if you were getting knock it would retard the timing.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Why do you think it is the knock sensor? Could be an induction problem, or any number of things. How do you know the knock sensor isn't detecting real knock and pulling timing to stop your engine blowing?

MB

·
Registered
755 Posts
yeah was gonig to say im sure it retards the timing to stop knock .. so yes it would slow you down.. tho im pritty sure the light would come on the dash..

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Hi

Can coment on early Evos, but there is no dash light that indicates knock detected on the later cars. If the car is knocking then the fault is not with the knock sensor, the knock should be sorted out first.

MB

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but the thing that is strange is the fact that i will run fine turn the car off and then go out again and it can be slow and it can do the same but one day to the next.but if it was knock wouldnt it do it all the time plus i have a air/fuel meter and its running fine fuel wise.and the car is run on 99 ron

·
Registered
675 Posts
Sorry for the late post don’t know if you have it sorted yet but I have the exact same problem with my evo IV more noticable since having it re-flashed opposed to the ra ecu, I went to noble motor sport who put the car on the rolling road and told me that it's most probably the knock sensor cause because when the knock sensors are old and knackered they become to sensitive thus picking up knock when there is no real problem and retarding the ignition which is losing power.

I am going to give mine a change anyway as I have already changed coil packs leads and plugs, I just need to get hold of one and have it fitted does anyone know a cheaper source for them than mitsi is it a big job, expensive or can I do it myself,

Cheers Dan.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Some of the old vauxhall turbos had the same problem, they would pick up noise from otehr parts of the engine or gearbox and retard. A common solution was to add a 2mm aluminium washer between the knock sensor and the block which would make it a little less sensitive to external noises other than genuine knock.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i have the knock sensor and the cars in garage as we speak all going well, i should have it back tommorow thanks for the help cheers dan.

·
Registered
675 Posts
can confirm it was the knock sensor, the soldered black cable had come away from the main red one,which is why it was possibly on off cured now drives perfect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts