Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

when I first bought my GSR one of the first things I did was to fit a replacement set of Leda springs. These lowered the car by about 30mm at the front and 10mm at the rear. To me that gap between tyre and the arches is still huge, especially at the front. Does anyone know of a decent spring kit or setup that will allow me to lower the car further than it is already?

This is purely cosmetic as the handling and body roll is fine.

Any help/suggestions or advice much appreciated..

MS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are sure to be kits that will lower the car even further, are you going to retain 17 wheels as 18's might get a bit tight if you go lower.

Rgds Kevin A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've put the Eibach springs from Coordsport (which were designed specifically for uk roads) on my VI which has given a good result. The measurements from the centre of the wheel to the arch lip are 368mm front, 343mm rear. They have also improved the ride quality.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lowering suspension reduces the amount of wheel travel available for bump absorbtion , if u lower the car 2 much the handling will be adversly affected. The original dampers are intended to work at a specific range of ride heights , again if lowered 2 much the they will not operate correctly , so again the handling is screwed. There will be an optimum ride height for the car , but if u want lower still high grade competition suspension will be required.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Japanese manufacture RSR psring will lower your EVO about 50mm to 55mm...
Isn't that low enough ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
I thought if you lower your car too much it would adversley affect handling, yet I have seen competition rally Evo V's and VI's so low that the wheels look like they're sitting actually inside the arch! I just think that the gap between the tyre and the arch looks huge and rather daft, but I don't want to ruin the sorted handling of such an incredible car..

We shall see.

MS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heave Ho,
Excuse me for being playground here , but , I started using Fast Show theme signatures considerably before yow!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember someone has said this in the site that by lowering too much it will bend the front stabilizer bar. Any truth in it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its possible if you lower any car too much to pre-load the anti-roll bar, making it less effective. But you can also bend/damage the steering rack links by having them operate at incorrect angles. Especially on full lock.
TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lowering..hmm.
1. u get a rough ride
2. major ground clearence problem
3. trading off the performance over the look (yea it looks cool when its 1 from the fender..BTCC looks)
4. oh my god.. RICE!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah leave the lowering alone its a rally car, just pretend you are on a gravel stage instead of tarmac.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
U can lower the car , but , as I said above if u want to go very low u need to fit high grade suspension so the ride and handling arn't screwed ( we've all seen the RS Turbo 4 head jiggle in town on a Saturday nighthttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > )
One of the best u can buy is DMS , which is now available from Ralliart at £1499 |PLS|fitting |PLS|vat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for all the input guys. I can't afford to do a whole suspension overhaul and I certainly don't want to bugger the ride/handling of the car, so looks like it's save up or shut up for me then.

Oh well, just a thought..

MS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts