Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question,
Is it possible for brakes to warp and then recover?
The reason I ask this is that about a month or so ago, I started to get bad wobble through the steering wheel when braking from 80-90mph. This was around the time of my last service so I got them to check the runout at the service and they said that the discs needed skimming but there wasn't enough left on them to skim. I decided to avoid getting new discs at the time and have carried on using the old ones.

The wobble has now disappeared and the brakes behave as normal....

I'm no expert on braking systems and so I'm looking for possible reasons why this has happened.

Thanks in advance

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The judder can also be accredited to any uneven wear on the pads themselves. If the pads were taken out during service, then it is possible that when they were placed back on they needed bedding in a little.

Cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andy,
Another possibility cud be pad and/or disc glazing.
This causes fluctuating brake force which translates into judder at the steering wheel.

Anyway , if it's gone ,worry not

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they can...

Yes the deformation is irreversable. But hot brakes and hot weather seem to make it worse. I've driven off on a cold day - no wobble. Much worse wobble on hot days.

So if you're only slightly warped, maybe it could go away?

Not for long though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick update on my warp/no-warp brakes.....
At my last service (18,000 miles) the brakes were wobbling quite badly and the disc runout was measured and I was told that the discs would need skimming but there wasn't enough material remaining on them to skim. I decided not to fit new discs and carry on with my originals.

Since then, the brake wobble has all but disappeared and on my next service (22,500 miles) I got told that the discs would only need a very slight skim and that they could do this without any problem. No mention of not much left on the discs etc.

This would seem to me that either the discs have corrected themselves (is this possible?) or that the garage that did the servicing were trying to pull a bit of a fast one and get me to replace the discs when they didn't really need doing.... They just mentioned that the discs were out and needed replacing because I'd mentioned that I'd got the brake wobble.

Anyone got any thoughts on this.

Andy

P.S. Got some tracktime booked at TRAX on Sunday and so that should be a good test to see if they are warped. They probably will be afterwards....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.