Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have as some questions relative to what grind cam combo I need:

Car is an E39A Galant VR4 (4G63), the motor is being built now with 8.5:1 compression pistons from a 1995 Eclipse (US spec), remaichined/raceprepped rods (aka shotpeening), turbo will be a Forced Performance Green model (www.forcedperformance.com), stainless steel tubular manifold, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, 28x10.5 x 3 inch front mount IC with 2.5 inch upper and lowe intercooler piping.

I already know that I want HKS cams, bt I am clueless as to what grind to do. I am not too concerned with low end power...I am mid and top end hungry. However, my girlfriend will not take too kindly to an idle much different than stock...so 272/272 is out of the question as well. Many ahve suggested 264/272 intake/exhaust, but I see Lancer guys running 272/264 with great results....

what to do guys? I need to get these in ASAP!

PS...the manifolds are finally done...!!!!

adam
Z-1 Performance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bung in 272's all round and learn to live with a lumpy idle, its not as
bad as you might think and I shall be doing this to mine (hopefully) in a
couple of weeks.

272in and 264ex seems to be most popular here, only a small loss of bottom end,
and a just noticable lumpy idle.......this gives (apparantly) approx 32bhp....YUM !!!!

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I am ordering them tomorrow from HKS (on backorder for 1 month), and need to get this striaght.

My GVR4 has 7.8:1 compression now, might use the later 8.5:1 pistons, haven't decided yet.

Questions: 1. What are the boards opinions of 264/272 intake/exhaust? Popular here, then most decide its not enough and go 272/272..I want to walk before I run though

2. Any mods needed to the piston tops? Dishes, etc., or do stock pistons cope fine...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i researched cams for my 7 i found that you also need to change the valve springs, as hte extra duration puts added strain on the stock springs. and while you are there you may as well fit an uprated head gasket, hks 1mm or 1.2mm.

and why not change the head studs and arp bolts as well?

maybe you should port the head since you have it off

and i forgot cam pullies as well

the list went on liket his until i actually decided that i will leave this project till i can afford it and do it properly!!!

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I didn't clarify. This whole motor is undergoing a rebuild, and the following will be done:

1. full ported head, HKS valve springs, HKS cams (as soon as I decide what grind!). I am going to stick with the stock cam gears for right now, until the whole setup is fully tuned,a s i don't have the time to play with cam timing now (this is being used with a new turbo, new manifold, new intercooler, new intercooler piping, etc...I have some work ahead of me!

2. motor is being rebuilt as well using upgraded ARP hardware throughout the entire setup.

3. Will probably use the HKS or Ralliart headgasket as well to keep compression under check so I can run the big boost numbers my new turbo (Forced Performance Green model..basically a highly worked 20G) loves!

adam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is no point whatsoever fitting cams without being able to adjust them
if timed right,it will idle as normal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adam - don't forget that standard Mitsubishi spec was 252 Inlet 240 Exhaust.

I just don't understand this 264 inlet 272 exhaust combo that seems so popular in the states.

Maybe it just works better with the big inlet port VR4 head. One things for sure the inlet port shape is way way different to the evo head which is more like the 2G's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Original Post:
when i researched cams for my 7 i found that you also need to change the valve springs, as hte extra duration puts added strain on the stock springs. and while you are there you may as well fit an uprated head gasket, hks 1mm or 1.2mm.

and why not change the head studs and arp bolts as well?

maybe you should port the head since you have it off

and i forgot cam pullies as well

the list went on liket his until i actually decided that i will leave this project till i can afford it and do it properly!!!sam
EXACTLY.

There is someting called JUN camshaft kit stage 2 |PLS| option that contains all of the above things you mentioned except the head gasket.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John - I understand what you are saying, but I don't agree....there are countless guys here that ahve done the HKS cams and springs by themselves, did the retuning on their computer, and the car runs unbelievably different. One particular friend on mine has a GVR4, picked up 32 peak hp at the wheels, and drop his 1/4 mile by .3 of a second, and gained 8 mph....pretty significant (this was with 264/272).

I think the overall head design of the earlier motors lends itself better to the 262/272 rather than the reverse.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts