Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to fit a set of adjustable HKS top mounts and wondered whether I should set the standard strut bolt to the -1 degree of -2 degree poistion? I assume it should be in the -1 degree position and therefore use the top mount to dial in the any additional camber that I might want, but thought it worth asking the question.

·
acting daft since 1969
19,593 Posts
i would set it to 0 ,where it was origanaly ,then have it tracked up properly with the required negi camber you want ,just adding negi camber like that with out cheaking everything else can become a bit of a head ache and not help tyre wear

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the strut bolt could only be set at either -1 or -2 degrees? As soon as I've fitted the top mounts I will be having the geometry set up properly.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Tein kits come with replacement bolts.

If the just have a round hole and no raised area (like standard) then the camber will be 0 anyway.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tein kits come with replacement bolts.

If the just have a round hole and no raised area (like standard) then the camber will be 0 anyway.

Cheers,

Simon
Thanks, I didn't know that these kits included replacement bolts. Would you know if these can be purchased separately?

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
You can buy a set of standard bottom bolts from a Mitsi dealer and use those - the holes are the same size.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can buy a set of standard bottom bolts from a Mitsi dealer and use those - the holes are the same size.

Cheers,

Simon
Thanks, although now I'm slightly confused because I thought I had standard bolts and that they gave either -1 or -2 degrees neg camber - ie not 0 degrees.

Anyway I'm taking the car over to Unit 8 next week and I'm sure they'll sort me out.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Thanks, although now I'm slightly confused because I thought I had standard bolts and that they gave either -1 or -2 degrees neg camber - ie not 0 degrees.

Anyway I'm taking the car over to Unit 8 next week and I'm sure they'll sort me out.
It's the head of the standard bold that has a different offset each side and when fitted on a standard shock "pushes" the shock so that the camber is -1 or -2 degrees.

The bottom bolt is plain and just a pivot point. The top bolt will only give a camber adjustment if the shock has a raised area next to the top bolt hole for the bolt head to "push" against.

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the head of the standard bold that has a different offset each side and when fitted on a standard shock "pushes" the shock so that the camber is -1 or -2 degrees.

The bottom bolt is plain and just a pivot point. The top bolt will only give a camber adjustment if the shock has a raised area next to the top bolt hole for the bolt head to "push" against.
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming. With my new (secondhand) HKS top mounts now fitted I set the strut bolt in the -1 position and estimated a neutral top mount setting pending 4 wheel alignment at Unit 8 on Tues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts