Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my bro has an evo 2 that on starting up today has a very rough running engine it will also pink under load no other nasty noises but i am sure it has jumped a tooth on the cambelt,has anyone got any clear pictures of the bottom pulley and all timing marks etc i will check this first.

Russ

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
Take the plugs out and the top timing belt cover off, now rotate the engine clockwise via a 1/2 inch ratchet on bottom pulley to try and get the bottom pulley notch at tdc mark and no1 piston at tdc as well, now see where the cam pulley markings are, if the dowels on pulleys are pointing up then the timing marks on cam pulleys should be in line with cylinder head, you may have to rotate a few times to get it right but if you cant get all this to line up its prob skipped a tooth as you say, ive seen it a few times when the hydraulic tensioner hasnt been reset/replaced when doing the belt.

Have a look here for some info and pictures http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
7 Posts
cambelt

hi thanks for the help over my running problems diagram very helpfull, despite fitting a new cambelt tensioner only nine months ago the belt jumped a tooth causing misfire at idle and pinking,
at least we caught it before doing the valves!

regards mad and

1 - 4 of 4 Posts