Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all just wondering if anyone has changed the cam belt on a evo 8 without using the special tools? and is it easy enough to do without them? and is there any tips and tricks to do? i have done a few belts in my time but not one on my evo so thinking there cant really be any major diffrences..
cheers all

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
you will need to improvise a tool to tension the belt and something to hold the cams in place when you do so.. A second pair of hands is a must in most cases..
I strongly suggest you buy that little plastic cam holder from ross..
Second suggestion is to buy a new cambelt tensioner and not re-use the old one.. I have seen them go bad on more than one occasion during or just afeter a belt change..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have bought a full kit inc tensioner and balance belt etc was looking at the tension tool is that the one that looks like the key to a angle grinder?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
YES,

but what you really need is this

http://rosssport.com/Brands/ROSS-SP...S/Cam-Gear-Service-Stop-Tool-Evo-1-9-RSENTBT3

edited in because I am out of posts.. Long pin is used to push down the hydraulic tensioner.. .this is usefull when you want to change the cams without taking the belt off, but is of little or no use for cambelt change... check the service manual, but I have done numerous changes without it..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok cheers may have to invest then have you any idea what the long pin is for?

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you look by the exhaust cam pulley one of the backing covers has a little rubber grommet that can be removed. The long screw goes down there and puts pressure on the timing rocker arm that sits buy the hydraulic tensioner but as Kikiturbo says it's just an aid really. Manual also says to use a dial torque gauge to tighten the tensioner for the grenade pin but tighten that whilst feeling the freeness of the grenade pin then leave it 15 mins and the grenade pin should still move freely before you pull it. It will all make sense once you start it

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for the info barto going to give it a crack at the weekend..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts