Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my evo 2 just stopped today burning smell checked cam belt and it was disintergrated but luckly not snapped! anybody fitted new cam belt how difficult what needs to come off any help please!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Paul, I rpelaced mine a few months back. The part is about £40-£50, plus a few hours labour. but there is also a tensioner that MAY need replacing whihc is around £90.
I had the garage to it at the time as I couldn't spare any time, came to just under £200 for everything.
The air-con etc makes it sometimes difficult to get at apparently.

If you go to: http://www.unigraph-design.com/mimms/service_manual/ and download the 4g2turbo overhaul manual, section 13 tells you how to do it.

Hope that helps,
PS: how many mile shave you got on the car now ?

Thanks
TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need specail tools to set the belt tensioner, and it's worth doing right as it could cost more in the long run.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi tony the cars just gone to 80/000 miles thanks for info ive ordered parts belt $62 small tensioner belt ? $17 stripped alot of it down already may tow it in if i get stuck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had my belt replaced for 230 AUS dollars.
I can do things myself but decided that it wasn't worth it.
Even if your belt didnt snap you may still have bent valves in the head as the cams may have spun. You might wanna get this checked.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have i brokenit!! i fitted the cam belts but its not firing up think valves could be bent any way of telling without taking off head how much are valves ? head gasket ? will i need new oil seals guides etc ? can i get exchange head complete ? tony thanks for the instructions well useful

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When the engine originally stopped, I take it that it stopped itself and it wasn't you switching off the ignition?

If you take off the cam cover you may be able to see if any valves are not returning back to their seated position by checking the valve clearances. If a valve is bent it may have 1mm or over gap (usually a lot more!!).

I've fitted EVO 1 timing belts before so I can comment first hand if you need any help.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car stopped its self ouch!. I have started to take off head lots to strip down, what can i leave bolted on, what needs to come off, to get it off ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds pretty terminal then :(

I would normally leave on the manifolds (inc turbo) when taking off the head just for convenience. Once on a bench you can then remove those if required.

Are you up to replacing valves / insert yourself? Valves are easy to replace but inserts (if cracked) require freezing to fit. I hope any damage you find is minimal.

Good luck.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
l will hopefully be able to finish removing head over w/e i dont think ill try to do valves or guides il take it to Dragon fingers crossed. if??? its only a couple of valves , why its apart is there any thing else ie gas flowing that can be done not herd much regarding any head work on evos also would uprated head bolts or gasket be worth it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only type of gas flow I would attempt without thorough research would be to align the ports on the head perfectly with the gaskets and manifolds. Mass production doesn't lend itself to perfect alignment.

You can smooth off any casting lines left by the mold cores used for the head ports and manifolds and generally 'polish' these surfaces.

Anything beyond the above and you'll need to be paying for the port work to be done. The shape and routing of the ports are often more important than the actual size (bigger is not always better).

If I was in your shoes I would just align the ports and be happy with that. The standard car isn't exactly slow.

Cheers,

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If any body is interested ive taken off head and Dragon have looked it over damage was 12 valves and guides going to cost about a grand for parts fitting etc doing full set 16 If anbody is not sure when there belt was last changed do it or get it checked out asap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ranny,
just booked my evo 4 into the garage ,its on 85000kms and hasnt got history of a belt change,so i'm having it done.Its better than a £1000 job if it snaps..
Hope the car gets sorted soon.

Duncan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.