Lancer Register Forum banner

CALLING ALL AVC-R USERS

827 views 20 replies 0 participants last post by  Krautie 
G
#1 ·
I've just invested in a Apexi AVC-R and I'm pretty stumped on how to set the damn thing up, I am aiming to get my boost levels no higher than 1.3. I can achive this in 1st and 2nd gear (getting 1.26ish) but as soon as I nail it in 3rd or 4th gear it hit the boost cut :(

Does anybody know anything about what any of the damn settings should be on. I've set the duty to 20% and the boost to 1.25 (under the Boost/Duty Menu). But what are the settings for the gear judge, F/B, Start Duty and the other crap.

Please help, I'm at a stand still

Thanks in advance :)

G
#4 ·
I agree with six mad! cuz when you install AVC-r it is recomend that you but in a fuel pressure regulator and a better fuel pump. because if you dont it can cause a lot of damage to your engine especially if you cant set it up correctly! Go to Rc development or some one that can set it up right to do the job. I saw them setting up mine and I can say its not as easy as it said on the manual.

Leon.

G
#5 ·
bit defeatest that,
tell you what,ill get my 9 yr old daughter to have a quick look and sort some settings out for you,
it cant be hard,after all,what did all the retards choose as a career upon leaving school...............IT !

G
#8 ·
I've got an AVC-R, but my tuner did the settings. So I won't bother giving you my settings, because our cars are obviously different, and what works for one car may not work for another one.

I assume you have access to the english manual, correct?

Here's what I may suggest, if you can't get the car to a tuner who can sort out your AVC-R properly. Set the AVC-R to learn mode , then in each gear, start at about 3k RPM and floor it all the way to redline. Figure out at what point(s) along the rev-range you're getting the boost spikes, and jot these down (it may help to have a mate in the car taking note of the readings!). Then manually reduce the boost duty at the rev point(s) where the spike is taking place.

You won't get an optimum set-up this way, but at least you'll hopefully have it set such that you'll avoid dangerous overboosting, until you can get a professional to sort-it properly.

Good luck!

G
#9 ·
Evo4,
Can you explain as to why you need to install and uprated fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator just because you've installed a boost controller? Why would installing the boost controller mean that you can cause a lot of damage to your engine?

Andy

G
#10 ·
Its famous Kludge http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Fit an AVCR, raise boost beyond fuel cut,
fit an AFC, lean the mixture off (!!!!!!!!) to by-pass fuel cut (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
then fit an adjustable fuel pressure reg, double the pressure (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
and cross your fingers.....a/f ratio might be something like what it should be [img]http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Justin

G
#11 ·
Justin,
I know all about the 'Kludge theory' that you're talking about ;)

However,
Just because you fit a boost controller doesn't necessarily mean you have to raise boost above the point that you start getting fuel cuts.

At the end of the day, just because this guy is having problems with his AVC-R, I think its a bit silly of Evo 4 to go recommending an AFC and uprated fuel pump and I was interested as to why he thinks that these are required and how
it can cause a lot of damage to your engine especially if you cant set it up correctly
when the fuel cut is there to protect you from doing any *major* damage to the engine.

Andy

G
#13 ·
JC,
If his car is an Evo VII then he wouldn't need an uprated fuel pump to be able to run 1.3 bar...
If it was a 6 or 5 then it might be advisable but it would be far cheaper to get your a/f ratio checked out to see if you are running lean rather than go and spend a fortune on a pump that you don't really need.

Or is that just me being a tight northener :D:D

Andy

G
#14 ·
Not sure if the point is being missed here, and I'm not too techy so don't shoot me if I'm talking out my bot. In simple terms (as i understand it) fuel cut occurs when the engine can't deliver enough fuel to go with the air that is being sucked in. So this means that fuel cut occurs at different boost levels at different times?

The AVC-R on it's own won't allow you to raise the point at which fuel cut occurs, merely control what boost level you can hold and vary it throughout the rev range. I know somebody will tell me that it can do a lot more than that, but hey:)

I have exactly the same situation - recently had an AVC-R installed as i was only pulling 'standard' boost with loads of intake and exhaust mods. This was set-up by RC and they programmed the peak at 1.15 bar as they were getting fuel cuts at 1.2. At the moment with these cold damp evenings it is still cutting out occasionally as it reaches this peak.

So i'm guessing that MRrEvolution can't pull 1.3 bar as the car's set-up won't allow it without fuelling mods? So the AVC-R needs to be set at a point below that. I'm also guessing that you can play with this as the weather improves and the air gets less dense?

Kevin.

G
#15 ·
Kevin,
Fuel cut occurs when the ECU detects too much mass of air going into the engine (via the airflow meter and outside air temperature sensor). It has nothing to do with the fuel system not providing enough fuel.

The AVC-R will allow you to increase the boost level (and therefore mass of air to the engine) to a point at which the ECU senses too much air and cuts the fuel to prevent damage to pistons and rods. During this time (before the fuel cut), the ECU will increase the fuelling according to the mass of air being fed to the engine.

You are correct in saying that the AVC-R will not allow you to increase the point at which fuel cuts occur.

Mr. Evilution said he was experiencing boost cuts and not fuel cuts. If he meant fuel cuts then all he has to do is turn down the boost. If he meant boost cuts (which I assume is a feature of the AVC-R like it is on my Blitz SBC-iD) then there will be a feature on the boost controller that controls the way in which the boost peaks and it will be this that he needs to change.

The only thing that I was questioning on this thread was why Evo 4 stated that you have to get an uprated fuel pump, get an AFC and uprated regulator to get over a boost cut, which is part of the boost controller. Even suggesting it as a method to avoid fuel cuts is a bit dubious as it is far easier just to turn down the boost....
And if the guy only wants to run 1.3 bar and doesn't want it to fuel cut then he can get the Ralliart sports ECU that gets rid of the fuel cut and still allows you to run at 1.3-1.4 bar with no problems and is cheaper than going for the uprated pump, regulator and AVC-R.

Andy

G
#16 ·
kevin
the boost cut is a limit point that has been chosen when the car left the factory. on the evo it is dependant on the maf which calculates the amount of air that is being sucked in. this does not have to be the limit of the fuel system but could be if your engine is very efficient, like exhuast,filter bigger turbo etc.. this point is something that misti thought is a safe point for a standard car.

you can run what ever boost you want really with any boost controller if you don't have boost cut it determined by the size of the turbo, exhuast and wastegate pressure.

why does some on give the poor guy their settings, what is the big deal? if he blows his engine i am sure he is not going to take any of you responsible.

the way this looks is, just because you paid someone to do it, you are not willing to help any one else??

very strange

sam

G
#17 ·
andy you bitch

you beat me to it, saying that i could not be bothered explaining why rc use their little cheat with the fuel controller and fuel pump. it is going around things in a round about way if you know what i mean.

but i am sure every one has got his opinion and all the poeple that support rc will tell you very bad things will happen to your engine if you don't listen to them kinda of stuff :D

G
#18 ·
Aah, boost cut - that's what the man said, not fuel cut - pays to read words! Told you I didn't know what I was talking about.

Daft question then, what's boost cut? When I had the AVC-R installed it wasn't obeying the settings - it was set at 1.15 but actually hit 1.59 (fast - but scary) on a warm day before it 'fuel cut'. Took it back to RC and they diagnosed the rusted actuator scenario. This has now been changed and works better. Still does't stick exactly to the settings i.e. set to 1.15, will hit 1.2 - is this a quirk because of the way the system works i.e. an electrical device controlling a mechanical activator? Does anybody else see this? Should have put this on another post as it's going to start rambling now.

Kevin.

G
#19 ·
Kevin,
A boost cut is a feature of the boost controller (or at least, it is a feature of the Blitz SBC-iD boost controller) that you can setup to detect overboost. When it detects a boost level of whatever you've programmed (say 1.2 bar) then it'll drop the boost by a set amount (say 0.2 bar) and so you won't get a fuel cut and therefore be kinder and gentler on the engine.

I have assumed that the AVC-R has a similar feature though looking at your last response, I'm not too sure whether it has or not.....

Andy

G
#20 ·
Andy,

Thanks for that - I was asuuming it was something more subtle than a fuel cut sort of interruption. Got to be honest - not too sure whether the AVC-R has that sort of capability - I had it set up by someone else and was told not to fiddle:) but I have downloaded the manuals and need to have a look at the capabilities. Can post a link if you're interested.

Kevin.

G
#21 ·
Original Post:
I've just invested in a Apexi AVC-R and I'm pretty stumped on how to set the damn thing up, I am aiming to get my boost levels no higher than 1.3. I can achive this in 1st and 2nd gear (getting 1.26ish) but as soon as I nail it in 3rd or 4th gear it hit the boost cut :(

Does anybody know anything about what any of the damn settings should be on. I've set the duty to 20% and the boost to 1.25 (under the Boost/Duty Menu). But what are the settings for the gear judge, F/B, Start Duty and the other crap.

Please help, I'm at a stand still

Thanks in advance :)
Yo, whazzup? :) Not sure what u mean by boost cut, I guess you mean fuel cut. No wonder at 1.3 bars in 3rd!

The boost level you set is not the boost level you get. It is the boost level at which the AVC-R will regulate the boost to go no higher, ie up and down around the value.

The duty is the thing that actually sets your boost level. If you do not reach the desired boost, increase the duty until you do.

OK, let me know if you get along with this ****.

As far as the other **** is concerned:

Start duty will need lowering in 4th and 5th for sure, it is the overboost setting! In 3rd it should be around 0 or -3 or so, just step on the gas in third and see how high it goes to see what you need to do (lower or iincrease). In first, you can set the start duty as high as |PLS| 8 to |PLS| 10 %, and u will love it! :D 2nd gear set |PLS|4 or 5.

Gear judge needs adjusting from a passenger with you driving at constant rpm, eg 3000 rpms in every gear, then press the button. :)

Let me know if this shitty explanation woz of any help and dont hesitate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.