Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I'm not bothered about the safety aspect but my 5RS came with a cage. Will putting it in just make the car heavier and slower but safer, or will it make it handle better due to the stiffening up and therefore make me faster on a sprint?

Would you put one in? It's just a standard run of the mill thing.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
cage/weight

the rear cage i removed from my 5 weighed 25kg with floor brace and diag.
i suppose you could double it for a full one.
watching simon norris recent tumble shows how worthwhile they can be.

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Kenny,
It depends on what cage you get etc.. If you put it through the dash and mount it to the suspension points then it will work well and you will probably go faster (depending upon your driving skill of course :p )

A bolt-in jobbie will stiffen up the chassis a bit but whether or not you will notice the handling improvement may be marginal.

Andy

·
Registered
36,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kenny,
It depends on what cage you get etc.. If you put it through the dash and mount it to the suspension points then it will work well and you will probably go faster (depending upon your driving skill of course :p )

A bolt-in jobbie will stiffen up the chassis a bit but whether or not you will notice the handling improvement may be marginal.

Andy
Cheers Andy..it's a bolt in jobbie. Sounds like it might be worth selling it to get a rear only cage....if I decide I want some safety.

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
Do you really need the cage for the sprints you're doing? you need proper harnesses with maybe a harnesses bar and decent seats or seat, dont know much about hotbits coilovers so cant comment, are they fully adjustable? what spring ratings?

·
Registered
36,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes they are fully adjustable. And no I don't think I need a cage, but my car came with one dismantled during the SVA. I was wondering wether to put it back in but don't think I will.

Do you really need the cage for the sprints you're doing? you need proper harnesses with maybe a harnesses bar and decent seats or seat, dont know much about hotbits coilovers so cant comment, are they fully adjustable? what spring ratings?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Less weight with good coilovers and the power you're going for should put Drewby in your mirrors :D
get to some msa meets m8. theres 55 tracks, & some run 140 cars on the day so there not full in 7 mins. yu coming to h wood hill lee, fit your road tyres & interia, see if you can get to carl jacksons time. or pass us trying. D :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
23,183 Posts
Kenny,

Fit the cage to keep you safe, then you can remove all the panels like the doors, wings, boot etc and that should save you loads of weight and still make your car fast........:smthumbup:crackup:

Lee

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
I'll try and get to a few mate even if i dont run:)
get to some msa meets m8. theres 55 tracks, & some run 140 cars on the day so there not full in 7 mins. yu coming to h wood hill lee, fit your road tyres & interia, see if you can get to carl jacksons time. or pass us trying. D :smthumbup

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
run in some m8. its a pity mlr ones dont run say 90 cars then more could do them.

theres some super tracks. H wood, curb, loton. prescott. mira.

its just got to be done. room for plenty. proppa classes. & some megga record times to aim for. D :smthumbup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts