Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm needing another PC now, cant carry on with just one now.

Ok I'm gonna build me up a base unit so not after a huge all in one package, or a screen.

Ok, not wanting to blow alot on this but its main purpose will be 3d graphics/rendering.

So i'm thinking

p4 3 gig 800 fsb 1 or 2 mb cache

2 gig ram, but might just go with a stick of 1gig for now

Nice case, good cooling, exspansion, access and friendlyness.

Graphics card is stumping me at mo, a nvidia 6800 chip set 2mb ram will prob shift things great, then theres the Radeon x800x range but again so many variants which one i do want! 256mb vid ram is a must.

Hard drive speed aint super important, but 160/180 gig size is fine for now.

Mother board im not sure about?again im hearing pci express etc but make/model not sure??

other bits arn't so important i can sort that dvd/rw etc.

Anyone got any good places sites they use or contacts??

Also i used to build up a few PC's a while ago and things have changed somewhat, so can someone help me go through setting up the BIOS etc making sure the machine is configured to its best ability??

Cheers in advance

Si

·
Registered
878 Posts
www.ebuyer.com

...I always use them - good prices and delivery.

Go for the ATI chipset for the graphics. As far as the mobo is concerned Asus are pretty stable and well specced IME.

James

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I have just bought a Dell XPS Gen4 all singing and all dancing base unit and it is one hell of a piece of kit. Not that cheap at just less than £1700 with no keyboard or screen but it is lightening quick. :)

Have a look at their website here and build one to your spec. :)

·
Banned
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here's the case im going to be building it into :) very nice inside and out! tool less and great cooling and layout.

I did look at the Dell XPS i can build my own base unit for a lot less it seems. And i love the design of this case and the reviews have been great.

http://www.asus.com/products/pccomponents/chassis/vento3600/flash/vento3600.htm

Hmmm most people seem to sway towards the ATI chipset Soooooo which one. Does ATI support openGL as well as DirectX as i use 3ds max?

ive used Gigabyte and QDI not had any probs this was a while ago!. Will check out ebuyer.

Cheers

Si

·
Banned
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
few pics, of the case, think i'm gonna run a water cool kit round it mayb as well.

Oh and mods can u stick this in non lancer chat pleeese :blush:

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
if you want it for graphics, i would build an amd 64bit based system with a gigabyte board.

I would use the pci express, its pretty simple if you have done a bit

I think 1gb dual channel ddr ram would be fine and would go with a radeon card.

If you are building for applications then i would change and go with the p4 setup.

I have always been intel, but i built a few games machines recently based on pci express/64bit amd either asus or gigabyte boards always

hth

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
jcremonini said:
www.ebuyer.com

...I always use them - good prices and delivery.

Go for the ATI chipset for the graphics. As far as the mobo is concerned Asus are pretty stable and well specced IME.

James
Agree the delivery of this compny is good but
don't ever try and return anything to them, there a total nightmare.

Took nearly 3months to replace an mp3 player, in the end i had a refund of my money....muppets.

Thouroughly recommend thou :

www.microdirect.co.uk

·
Banned
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for the comments/advice guys.

Ok i think i will stick with Intel, it has been said it's a better platform for 3d applications (not games) although this machine will run games pretty sweet!

This is what i'm looking at, again i may look at the ATI cards, ive stuck with nvidia up to now.

PC components

Case ASUS VENTO3600

256MB Galaxy Glacier GF 6800GT DDR3 256BIT TV/DVI

Hard drive 160GB

630 Intel Pentium® 4 LGA 775 CPU (3.06 Ghz 800FSB) HT 2MB Cache with Intel® EM64T

Gigabyte 8I915P Duo-915P/ICH6, FSB800, PCIEx16, 2xDCDDRII/DDR, 8xUSB2, 4xSATA, 3xPATARaid, 8ChAudio

1Gb DDR2 PC4200, 533 MHz, non-ECC, 240 DIMM, unbuffered, CL4 Infinion

PSU

should be pretty beefy i would of thought?

Si

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
if you are doing a lot of 3d work, and your software supports it, get a motherboard that supports SLI so you can use 2 cards for the rendering....

i use Scan to buy all my bits from....superb

lee

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
If you are a getting dual channel motherboard make sure you get *two* pieces of memory otherwise you will not be utilising the dual channel capability of the motherboard. Probably obvious but a lot of people seem to overlook this for some reason.

·
Banned
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LeeLegend-TME139 said:
if you are doing a lot of 3d work, and your software supports it, get a motherboard that supports SLI so you can use 2 cards for the rendering....

i use Scan to buy all my bits from....superb

lee
All that lot i have been pricing up on Scan Lee, well under a grand. I not to worried bout SLI Lee, Im mostly rending multi angle Stills fairly hires, and not full walkthroughs etc but my workload is going up at a silly rate so want a beefy ish PC to model them up.

Hmm Global, want to go to 2 gig ram just gonna stick a gig stick in for now chuck in another later. Will still be quick with just the one stick??

Si

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
With the spec that you have it will be insanely quick anyway - just more so once you add that other bit of memory :)

SJSdesign said:
All that lot i have been pricing up on Scan Lee, well under a grand. I not to worried bout SLI Lee, Im mostly rending multi angle Stills fairly hires, and not full walkthroughs etc but my workload is going up at a silly rate so want a beefy ish PC to model them up.

Hmm Global, want to go to 2 gig ram just gonna stick a gig stick in for now chuck in another later. Will still be quick with just the one stick??

Si

·
Banned
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah good good! :)

Im currently at this mo in time building the entire venue show floor for the Sony PSP launch party in LA and im wishing the machine was here now! grrr

thanks for all the help guys.

Si

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Just wondering why uve selected CL4 for ur ram.... that pretty slow to be honest. CL2 or 2.5 max is what u need.

Chip wise id stay away from the 6** and get a 5** plus id pay that little bit more and get a 560...

As for the 3d rendering, its not the same as normal games crunching guys, its differnet and involves alot of cpu clock time, not gpu clock time..... so sli wouldnt work.

Try compairing ur prices to www.scan.co.uk and www.aria.co.uk and www.komplett.co.uk

Try scan's today only page as well as thier mixit pages.

Any more help feel free to ask, via pm as i only get 20 posts per month :)

Mark.

·
Banned
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hopefully, it will shift. I know i can go faster but cost is big factor and that spec is beefy ish.

Well ive worked on this 3d model all of yesterday and right through the night started on monday, and just gotta carry on. Things are starting to slow now, render times gone up a fair bit, have loads more detail to put in yet seating and tables to accomadate 600 people, oh and people models to show scale and then gotta be lit properly and surfaces set up.

should of got machine before i started this job :rolleyes: booger!

lil work in progress shot for ya.

Tired Si *yawn*

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Go for an Athlon 64 3500
Gigabite PCI-Express SLI motherboard (two cards on one board, will be fast!)
1 gig dual channel CL2 memory (2gb if you can stretch)
Drive: Anything by seagate or western digital will be ok (maybe even buy two and RAID them)

try www.overclockers.co.uk (cheaper than dabs and scan)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I'd go with an equivalent price Athlon 64 and an SLi capable motherboard personally, but if you'd prefer Intel and the ATI card then no problem, go for something like this one (clicky).

I'd also go for 2Gb matched pair memory (clicky) from the offset. Most of the current crop of boards (DDR333+ and certainly the new DDR2 ones) won't actually work if you only insert one stick of memory, you need one in each of the matched banks ;)

A decent PSU is also a must (clicky) if you are running one of the latest crop of graphics cards, they are power hungry beasts and when you add in the hard drives and DVD-RW etc. you want as big a PSU as you can shove in to make sure nothing lacks power if you decide to add bits later.

Scan aren't always the cheapest for bits, but I have had nothing but sterling service from them. I know people who have had less than sterling service from a few of the other companies mentioned here, but there is always the possibility that these were isolated cases of course ;)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
An Athlon cpu is no good for 3d rendering, nor is SLI...... For any kind of work like that u need basic graphics card and a p4 cpu....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts