Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, am off to buy a evo 4 on a p plate tommorow, i have been a scooby man for years, what should i look out for mechanical wise cheers also what price is a standard p reg car worth in good condition thanks chris :)

·
acting daft since 1969
19,608 Posts
cheak for rust ,accident damage ,the rest is fairly standard car buying stuff ,see if and when it was last sertviced and when the clutch was last changed

as for cash owt between £3000 for a decent clean ish runner to £4500 but for that caah it would have to be VERY nice with a few add ons

why not put the reg up on here and see if any one knows of it it can help MASSIVE

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
As above - but check service history for consistency and quality of services carried out. i.e. what type of oil has been used. What filters used. what brake fluid is in the car. what clutch is it running. does the owner use cheap copy brake pads or decent components.

It all gives an indication as to how it's been looked after.

NB - am not saying most expensive is the best, but look carefully as to what level of care and attention has been paid to the car. Remember it'll likely be a 13-14 year old car now......

good luck
Chris:)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
You need to measure the endfloat ( side to side movement as you look into engine bay) of the crankshaft, best way is to get a dial gauge on the end of crank then try and lever it in and out of the block and check, be careful not to lever against plactic engine covers or they might break....also try getting someone to press the clutch while you watch the pulley if its bad it may show up that way... max movement mistu recommend is 0.25mm, commonly thought to be safe upto 0.4mm but to keep a close eye it doesnt get any worse if its up at these sort of figures, many run at this without getting worse though. If you can visually see it move thats not good! but get the dial gauge on there to get a measurment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts