Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased my forst EVO, a silver 5 and thought I would share the experience I think I got a good deal, let me know if you think otherwise. Dealer is Ralliart in Dudley, sticker price £16,995 for a silver '98 5 with 40,000miles on the clock. Traded in a people carrier and gave me £500 over the odds and negotiated £500 off the sitcker price. Carried out a 45,000 mile service during which they discovered the clutch could be made to slip (clutch replaced (no cost)) and the brake disks were near to being worn out (disks replaced (no cost)). Car had a momo wheel fitted, got them to replace with standard wheel with air bag. New Marshal tyres all round and a full service history. ???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention - 1 years warranty (same as new car warranty) and purchased additional 2 years for £700

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems they went out of their way to help you,Average price for a Dealer but as said before, Marshall Tires!!!

I once had these on a Vauxhall nova many many years ago!!They were soon Dumped for Yokos!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And you did not get a drink there?? Or did you forget to mention that?

Just kidding, sounds like they have the right service mentality and prefer engaging in a long term relationship with the customer rather than make a quick sale. How long that relationship lasts depends on how long your car stays in one piece. And that depends amongst other things on what tires you have, if you know what I mean...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still wondering why on earth you wanted an airbag fitted? I'm thinking of disabling mine.

I've got four Bridgstone S0-1's for sale, only covered just under 2000 miles from new (1000 of which were 'running in' miles so they havn't been slaughtered or seen a track), still in very good shape. £150 if your interested.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Airbag is at the wifes request - seems a small price to pay for having the car. Is there much difference between S-01 and S-02 performance?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to fück up your sale, but S-O1s are an insult, but most probably a helluva lot better than Marshalls....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your V sounds like a good deal, specifically with getting the new Clutch etc.

I've used SO1 and amp; SO2's on my 6 and recon the following

SO1
|PLS||PLS| Performance in the dry
|PLS| Performance in the wet
-Road Noise/ Harsh

S02
|PLS| Performance in the dry
|PLS||PLS| Performance in the wet
|PLS| Road Noise

£150 for 4 SO1's does sound very good

Brian
Mag Editor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark, enjoy your car mate. The reason I commented about the airbag was that, well I just think that we are moving to a stage where cars will drive themselves which for an enthuiast will be a terrible thing. Hell I dunno what I'm talking about - ignore me! LOL

Michael, not too sure why you say they are an insult (explain!) but nevermind - the tyres are sold already!!!!!

Brian:
£150 for 4 SO1's does sound very good
Now you tell me!!! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't knock Marshalls until you've tried 'em....

I certainly rate them in the dry and they seem OK in the wet, tho' not like SO2's...

They wear INCREDIBLY well !

Good tyre in my opinion

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Mark1

Good to hear of another Evo bod on the road and the forum. Sounds to me like you got a good deal. I bought my 6 from Ralliart and the Galant VR4 also, and had just as a good an experience as you did, they're all great guys.

I've seen the car you've bought actually as I'm usually dropping in to Ralliart every now and then for various bits and pieces and have had a quick look round it, nice car mate, well done. Keeping the number plate on it (R90 isn't it?)?

Are you local to Dudley then? I'm only a couple of miles down the road.

Happy Evo Motoring!

Davy T

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for you words of wisdom everyone - I have decided to give the Marshalls a go and go from there. Davey T - I am based near Lichfield in Staffs, not far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In my opinion S-O1s are even worse than S-O2s, both in the dry and in the wet when both tires are at the peak of their performance cycle. I don't care about how loud or silent a tire is, just about grip. In that department the S-O2s aren't great and the S-O1s are even worse, that's why I call them an insult to anyone who buys them thinking they are a real performance tire which they clearly aren't. Why did you sell yours then, Cookie? Surely not because they were so great and you had to share the experience with someone else?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why did you sell yours then, Cookie? Surely not because they were so great and you had to share the experience with someone else?
Well so many people here seem to be trying to make their car go as fast as possible in a straight line where as I would rather put my money into making it go round corners better. Now, having only owned my E6 TME for a month so far I am very pleased with it overall, but when people say about there being better tyres then the SO-1's that were fitted to my car as standard then I see changing them for something more grippy as a fairly cheap upgrade that will hopefully yeild instant results. Like I say, overall I am very happy but I feel that ultimate grip and steering feel are a little lacking.

It always amazes how many people buy an expensive camera and use a cheapo film where as for a little bit more money they could use a top quality film. I think it's a bit like that with cars and tyres.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your right cookie.
But,
In Gran Turismo, when tuning a car, how often I wonder to people go the the 'tyre' shop before the 'turbo / intercooler' shop ?
Not many.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You guys should listen more to MichaelK. He's got a pretty std Evo with a BC and exhaust, but has 3 way adjustable Proflex shock absorbers and doesnt like any tire so far. For a reason. They're ****. Brodgestones S01 S02 S03 etc.
The only good tire I've seen so far is the A032. Talking about grip, nothing else.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts