Lancer Register Forum banner

Burning at Launch!!!

420 views 16 replies 0 participants last post by  Claudius v1.4 
G
#1 ·
I have a relatively standard 94 GSR. When I try to launch it at 5000rpm, I can smell something (rubber) burning. It's not the tyres. I think it's a belt or something under the hood. Anyone know what may it be and how I can fix it??? What damage can it cause???

Please Help!!!

G
#2 ·
Hey madman! The smell is from the clutch. The EVO standard clutch has always been 'the weakest link'.

If you want to do high rev launches, try upgrading your clutch to a twin plate/disk type (around 1200 quid |PLS| labour).

G
#3 ·
Madman, yup, it's the clutch. My one abortive attempt at launching past 4k ended up just like that, took me a couple of minutes with the windows down at 60|PLS| to clear the smell from the cab (yuk!).

Try launching at 3k-3.5k, you're on boost and the standard clutch likes it a hell of a lot more. Still feels like it rockets away too... :D

If you want a 5k|PLS| launch, you'll need a higher rated clutch (twin plate/paddle) although they affect town driving (heavy traffic) since they're a lot more digital . The AP organic single plate is apparently better at launching, while still behaving like the standard clutch.

Derek

G
#4 ·
It seems like everyone is agreeing on the same advice. Unfortunately I don't agree, but maybe I should have provided a little more information if I knew this was heading down the clutch path... I don't have a standard clutch. In fact i have a 4 paddle cerametallic driven plate clutch, which is the ones you would take to racing meets. So I don't think it's the clutch.

Anyway, last night while I was in bed I had a thought. Why am I so stupid?!?! All I had to do is to open the bonnet, get a friend to stand next to it. I will rev up to 5000rpm and let him have a sniff. He should be able to point out where the smell is from and I will be able to know!!! Silly me. Anyway, I will give that a go and report back so you will all know.

In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming!!! It's a good learning experience. :)

Thanks.

G
#5 ·
Sorry, made the assumption you were running the standard oem clutch (which does poop past 4k on launch).

In that case, buggered if I know, I'm not the most technically minded bod on here ;)

Derek

G
#8 ·
I SMOKED MINE TODAY!!! Was racing on the Promenade des Anglais with a Honda VFR or sthg. He was on the rear wheel next to me going flat out in 2nd then 3rd. 100 kmh on the rear wheel one meter from my open driver's window right on the beach! That was fun. He was just a little bit less fast in acceleration than my car. But I dropped the clutch at 4.500. At the next light I dropped it at 5.000, thena t 6.000 and there was A LOT of smoke in the rear view mirror after that. First the tyres spun a little, then the clutch gave up. Horrible smell! But I'm getting a carbon one next week... :D

Sometimes I wish I had that camera mount in my car...

G
#10 ·
Well, it seems like everyone is point at the clutch. I don't think it's the clutch for reasons stated above. So I think if it's the clutch, then it may be because I didn't have my foot all the way down on the clutch pedal. I really don't know if that is the answer, considering I have been driving around in an auto for 8 years I am still learning. But I will get my mate to take a sniff with the bonnet up next time and see where it is coming from and I will get back to you all. :)

Thanks for the help so far... but wait, there will be more..... :)

G
#11 ·
Burnt clutch has a distinctive smell anyway, youd know if it was the clutch.

I've got the AP organic and JUN flywheel in mine; now im not one for fast traffic
light launches, I always granny start my evo, let the clutch out fully then floor it;
except the other day, I was at a 3 lane road in Ashford at the lights; white RS500
on the far left, monster pug in the middle and madman Andy Oakes in a scooby up me arse;
adrenaline pumping like mad, lights change, loads of revs, slip the clutch just right;
no joke....all 4 wheels spinning right the way to the limiter in 1st !!!!!!!!!

Yep, left em all for dead !!!

Car STANK of burnt clutch for a couple of days....!

Justin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.