Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend Ed Moore at Motorsport Events is running a track day at Bruntingthorpe on 22nd September. I know some of you have been to Ed's events at Wroughton before, and found them to be very well run with loads of track time.

check out http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk for more details. Cost is approx £150.

Bruntingthorpe is a great venue - cross between a circuit and an airfield - essentially it is a circuit with loads of run-off. Ed is probably going to run a single very long circuit - which would be great. Some of the sections are as wide as an 10 lane motorway, and there is a very long straight where you can really floor it!

Hope to see lots of you there.

BTW, this posting is purely as a favour to Ed, who is a mate, I am not connected to Motorsport Events at all.

Shorty, you gonna come along to this? Evo4GirlRacer said she might... JEvo - bout time you tried it too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm on holiday during that week.
Will go to a more local event when organised though.
For me its getting time out to do things and need a little planning.
Time shoots bye so bloody fast.
will get to an oulton park track day soon.as I have promised myself to do this circuit.Cadwell is always a must.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blade.....
Is it a good track for a novice???????
How many cars on track?Is it split into groups with similar ability?
I have never done a trackday before nearest I got was the parade lap at Castle Combe.
Are you going?If you can get Evo4girlracer to go it could be a day out for the Berkshire massive....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blade

I'm very interested, just need to sort my diary out for September. Going to try and keep the 22nd clear http://194.93.140.171/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blade,

I would be up for this but with fatherhood due on 25th Sept the Evo is going to be on standby as the world's fastest ambulance http://194.93.140.171/graphics/TooHappy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle > . Had a look at the motorsport events website and there is another on 13th October at Wroughton for only £89, which would be worth going to. Anyone up for that?

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Colonel_Smith - Evo4GirlRacer said that she was up for it - think she meant Bruntingthorpe!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any chance for top speed runs at the end of the day http://194.93.140.171/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
once i get some decent brake pads will be up for trackdays,this sounds good for a novice.will there be instructors on the day?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure about Bruntingthorpe but I will think I will set a goal of trying to get another motor in time for 13th October at Wroughton. Current favourite of this week is LHD (keep you guessing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,

Nice to see some of you may be coming to our day at Bruntingthorpe on Sep 22nd.

It is a fantastic venue, with loads of space and some great fast, medium and slow speed corners. There is a link to follow for more info:

http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/press_release_24.htm

In reply to a few of your questions:

1) Yes we will be allowing high speed runs on the 2 mile straight
2) Top quality professional Instructors will be on hand
3) Ideal venue for all levels of ability and sessions will be according to experience
4) Max 15 on track at once (long track so space will not be a problem)

If we can be of any further help please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Regards,

Ed Moore (Tel 0870 787 2116)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back!

What an awesome day! Bruntingthorpe is an excellent venue. This was the first time my EVO has run since June. and was basically being run-in on the day - as most of the engine was new, as were the brakes and tyres etc.

Great turnout - there was the new M3, Ferrari 355 and 456, Porsche 964 GT2, 993 RS, 964 RS, Carrera 4, Evo 7, Loads of Lotus Elises and Caterfields, a Formula Ford, Maserati 3200GT - oh, and my M5! What a selection!

My car was only running 0.9 bar boost - but was clearly the fastest car on the track. The handling is awesome, and the engine is sublime. We murdered everything! The 993 RS was awesome - but not in the same league. I just couldn't believe how good my car was. Can't wait for next week at Croft (Oct 1st) when they turn the boost up to 2 bar!

The other highlight of the day was the max speed runs on the 2 mile straight. My M5 came out the fastest with an indicated 172 mph on the speedo. Using a hand-held GPS device, that recorded 165 mph - so somewhere between 165 and 172. It was awesome when it did it too - no fuss, totally stable - braked really quickly too.

Took the M5 out on the track, but it was really not very good at all in that environment - best left on the road.

Great day!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back!

What an awesome day! Bruntingthorpe is an excellent venue. This was the first time my EVO has run since June. and was basically being run-in on the day - as most of the engine was new, as were the brakes and tyres etc.

Great turnout - there was the new M3, Ferrari 355 and 456, Porsche 964 GT2, 993 RS, 964 RS, Carrera 4, Evo 7, Loads of Lotus Elises and Caterfields, a Formula Ford, Maserati 3200GT - oh, and my M5! What a selection!

My car was only running 0.9 bar boost - but was clearly the fastest car on the track. The handling is awesome, and the engine is sublime. We murdered everything! The 993 RS was awesome - but not in the same league. I just couldn't believe how good my car was. Can't wait for next week at Croft (Oct 1st) when they turn the boost up to 2 bar!

The other highlight of the day was the max speed runs on the 2 mile straight. My M5 came out the fastest with an indicated 172 mph on the speedo. Using a hand-held GPS device, that recorded 165 mph - so somewhere between 165 and 172. It was awesome when it did it too - no fuss, totally stable - braked really quickly too.

Took the M5 out on the track, but it was really not very good at all in that environment - best left on the road.

Great day!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blade,

The Carbon Black M3 was me!!! ... it was my first trackday in it since getting it 4 months ago. I absolutely agree with you ... it was an excellent day.

I owned an M3 Evolution before the E46 and it took me a while today to truly get into my stride and get used to the totally different handling of the E46 compared to the E36. However, the last hour was pure heaven. Once I figured out the quickest way around the track was to stay mostly in 4th, it was easy and effortless. Awesome car ... none of the standard 911s stood a chance and less cars passed me than I passed. I assume you were in the White Evo RS ... yes, it was quick but not as quick as the green, slicked 964 (IMHO). It's going to be a hard car to learn so I'm going to attend as many trackdays as I can in the next few months. Look out for me at Goodwood.

A couple of points on your comments about the M5 (and this isn't meant to sound offensive, trust me):

When I spoke to the instructors at Cadwell '99 (Graeme and Andy I think) they were absolutely raving about the M5 and said it was a superb track car. Slightly at odds with your own comments. Is it possible you're more familiar with 4WD on the track rather than a heavy RWD car and just need to get used to it?

Also, at least two people said to me today that the M5 was being driven very badly (don't shoot the messenger ... please). Were you the only one driving it today or was there someone else? Did you remember to switch the DSC off? My car was transformed once the track dried and I set it how nature intended (i.e. Sport-ON, DSC-OFF). With the DSC on in the wet it was hard to keep it fluid (one of my passengers asked me why I lifted off around the chicane and I had to answer it wasn't me ) but it was still very quick in the wet.

I also particularly enjoyed the top speed run ... it's a great idea. I was 4-up and hit the speed limiter relatively easily. I think the braking point was generous and I think I could have left it much, much later to brake (with the benefit of hindsight). Car felt rock-solid at all speeds ... encouraging for the next time I visit Germany.

I'll look out for you around Reading now I know your reg no. (I'm Y278 xxx) ...

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blade,

The Carbon Black M3 was me!!! ... it was my first trackday in it since getting it 4 months ago. I absolutely agree with you ... it was an excellent day.

I owned an M3 Evolution before the E46 and it took me a while today to truly get into my stride and get used to the totally different handling of the E46 compared to the E36. However, the last hour was pure heaven. Once I figured out the quickest way around the track was to stay mostly in 4th, it was easy and effortless. Awesome car ... none of the standard 911s stood a chance and less cars passed me than I passed. I assume you were in the White Evo RS ... yes, it was quick but not as quick as the green, slicked 964 (IMHO). It's going to be a hard car to learn so I'm going to attend as many trackdays as I can in the next few months. Look out for me at Goodwood.

A couple of points on your comments about the M5 (and this isn't meant to sound offensive, trust me):

When I spoke to the instructors at Cadwell '99 (Graeme and Andy I think) they were absolutely raving about the M5 and said it was a superb track car. Slightly at odds with your own comments. Is it possible you're more familiar with 4WD on the track rather than a heavy RWD car and just need to get used to it?

Also, at least two people said to me today that the M5 was being driven very badly (don't shoot the messenger ... please). Were you the only one driving it today or was there someone else? Did you remember to switch the DSC off? My car was transformed once the track dried and I set it how nature intended (i.e. Sport-ON, DSC-OFF). With the DSC on in the wet it was hard to keep it fluid (one of my passengers asked me why I lifted off around the chicane and I had to answer it wasn't me ) but it was still very quick in the wet.

I also particularly enjoyed the top speed run ... it's a great idea. I was 4-up and hit the speed limiter relatively easily. I think the braking point was generous and I think I could have left it much, much later to brake (with the benefit of hindsight). Car felt rock-solid at all speeds ... encouraging for the next time I visit Germany.

I'll look out for you around Reading now I know your reg no. (I'm Y278 xxx) ...

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Small world isn't it. The 964 was a GT2, and yes, that probably would have been faster - but he had a big running-in sticker on it - and I was only running 0.9bar! We were running the car in, as the engine and brakes are all new. Was only later in the day that we started to pick up the pace, when the components were bedded in.

To be honest, the M5 was probably being driven badly! I took it on the track when I first arrived, and it is the first time I have driven on a track since May, and more importantly since my head-injury in June! So I was quite rusty. I was also quite scared, as the thought of having an off in my beloved M5 was haunting me. As for RWD driving, previous cars were a 450bhp XKR and a 380bhp Griffith - in fact I am more used to RWD than 4WD (although I did own an Integrale!). Ed Moore drove the M5 round one time as well, and agreed that the brakes were just not up to track use. I also didn't want to shag the tyres -just wanted to get a feel for what it is like. The biggest problem was changing direction, as it is heavy, and diving on braking. Don't get me wrong, it is awesome on the road, just not in the same league as some of the other cars. At the end of the day, it isn't a track car. I had another problem too - the driver's seat doesn't go low enough, and being 6ft3, I couldn't move my head as it was jammed with my helmet on! Had to lean my seat back, which meant I was rolling around the car and that mad it hard to control also.

Still, it was the fastest on the high speed run, quicker even than the 355 - and according to the organisers, it looked it too, and apparently was an awesome spectacle going past! I am upgrading the brakes to Movit, suspension to Dinan Stage III and exhaust to Kelleners. I will try it again then. At the mo it is stock, save the Superchips upgrade (which was why I was able to exceed the limiter -as it has been removed).

And anyone who made comments about the M5 were wiping the smiles off their faces later on when I was out in the EVO :)
Thought your M3 looked very nice! Have considered down-sizing :D

Did you get a good look at my EVO?? Are you going to Croft on 1st Oct? Looks a cracking day...

BTW - I think those people who taped the front of their cars are abit sad! Stone chips are par for the course, and I would rather have some good shots of the car! Liked your blacked out headlights!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, BTW, I did have Sport-on, DSC-off - as I drive like that all the time!

There was another thing - I recently had the geometry changed, to make the back end more lively (more rear camber, different toe settings) -non standard. This is great on the road, as it helps combat the understeer (front camber can't be changed on standard suspension) - but on the greasy track, made the car really twitchy - which didn't help.

The EVO felt totally different though - not even like a 4WD car, or like any EVO I have driven. At the end of the day, only the shell is really standard...

Ed Moore has driven the EVO throughout it's development, and his comments yesterday were that it was basically perfect! I had to agree. After spending all the money, it could have been a) A little bit better, and hence disappointing b) Shite c) Awesome.

Thankfully, it was c)! It was great that Power Engineering spent the whole day there yesterday as well, taking readings, and adjusting setup etc. Found it really hard early in the day as we were rev limited to about 6k, which meant lost of short shifting. 7k was available in the afternoon, and that made all the difference.

Incidentally, all the comments around the track were that the EVO was the quickest thing there - I never say the 964 GT2 go (this is the one with the ridiculous spoiler we are talking about??)

Did you see the 993RS - that was being driven really well.

Do you have an EVO as well?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Incidentally, your M3 was going round pretty quickly too! Saw you worrying those pesky porsches!

Did you battle with the EVO 7 at all? Don't know who the guy was, is he a board member?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blade,

I only saw the GT2 going round once or twice ... very, very quickly. I suspect your Evo was probably the quickest after that. The 968 Club Sport was pretty good too ... it passed me once but I managed to stay on his tail for a while after that.

Your geometry changes at the rear might explain your problems with the M5 ... it's probably great for the track out-of-the-box and the changes might have upset the balance a little.

No, I don't know who was in the Evo7 ... it went pretty quickly and looked fantastic in whetever colour that was (Reims blue? Icelle?)

Do you know when the next Bruntingthorpe session is? I reckon I was only just getting to grips with the car/track in the last hour or so and I'm desperate to get back on (once I've replaced my completely toasted Michelin Pilots with some wider S-03s ... they look like someone smeared black treacle all over the tread and bits are still falling off this morning :( )

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We passed the 968 pretty easily, although the fact that there was effort in it showed how well it was going round. Wasn't a club sport though, was it? Well driven though!

Suspect you are right about the M5 - rollout the mods! I think Thruxton or Goodwood might suit it better.

Do you like the Pilot tyres? I think they lack feel...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts