Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raised the topic of broquet on the board before, however it does seem to be a bit of a black art knowing just exactly what is going on with them.

The basic idea is you add a broquet unit to your fuel tank. It is supposed to make the engine run smoother and more efficiently. There is even talk of it allowing you to run 95RON in an engine normally requiring higher RON. Broquets UK distributor wont admit to the product giving an increase in RON but it has all the hallmarks of doing so.

Rumour also has it that Prodrive fitted them as standard to the 16 UK spec 22b's and to the recent P1's.

Anyway, the usual cost is cicra £140, but if you take a look on shop.scoobynet.co.uk there is a special deal going on until this Saturday to get them at sub £100.

This post is just for information, I havent got Broquet in my tank (yet!) and am only relaying what ive heard before!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also saw the posts on here before about the broquet.
Until there is hard evidence from several reliable independant sources which have tested them over a long period then I will dismiss all such 'miracle' devices.
If anybody on here has any such money saving 'miracle' device fitted and has reliable gains from it then let us know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HH6, there are a number of people using the units (in scoobies) but they just say the engine feels smoother. How many of us felt power increases when we changed exhausts or filters? I think its one of those things when you are trying to justify the money you have just spent. However, Broquet has been around a long time, I think it was a WWII development to allow Spitfires to operate in far off places where the fuel was comparable to water! I believe there is a money back offer if not satisified, so this time I might bite the bullet and purchase.

Jamak Windscreen Wiper update: I went to buy a set of the wipers, but unfortunately they didnt have the size requried for the car at the shop. Also, the drivers side doesnt come with the 'spoiler' attached. Shame as I was all set to purchase as I had an idea that being a bank holiday weekend it would have rained!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be interested to know how you get on Howard if you do go ahead with it.

Shame about the wipers. I have just fitted a refill set myself yesterday just need some rain now to try 'em!
It is a bit of pain that the drivers and passenger side are different sizes something to remember if you do order some of those silcone jobbies.

Do they do refills as that might be the way to go to keep the spoiler? I doubt if they do though as there is no money to be made in refills if they last as long as they reckon!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Howard,

I am a born skeptic but after reading the spiel on the product I am intrigued. Let us know how it works.

Regarding the wipers I have fitted a standard set of refills that work perfectly. Mitsubishi lists a different part number for the Evo but the standard Lancer set are identical.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going to wait a little longer before commiting to the Broquet, just to see what else is 'discussed' on scoobynet. At the moment the sceptics are jumping in. However, Bob Rawle made an interesting post and he is a bit of a tuner par-excellence (LINK fame). It was his post that got me interested again, as I had dismissed them. Scoobynet Broquet Post

The silicone wipers were nearly £10 a blade cheaper than the co-ordsport prices I got quoted, though I havent priced a set from Halfords yet. I presume the 'deflector' is used to push the blade down at speed? I had a look at just getting the blade (as opposed to the entire wiper) but it didnt look like it would slide into the existing arm. Im sure I can pick a clip on deflector up if required. Again it needs a little more looking into.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went for refills. Got a set (pair of 20 ) from Les Smiths for £7. The last set of refills I got from Halfords were crap but that must have been 5 years ago so perhaps they are better now. I did look but they only had whole wiper arms...no thanks! btw if you get the Les Smiths you will have to open up the forks a bit to allow the blade holder to slide a bit more freely. I found the tool that came with my old Halfords set and it did the job a treat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Howard B

Just read the Scoobynet thread.

They talk of dropping the Broquets into the tank.

Presumably it’s still the case that the tank has to be dropped in the EVO.

Pleased with the results of the PE re-map and will post more once I have lived with it a little longer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zippy, good spot, this is something I havent really considered!! (stupid I know) I certainly didnt plan on dropping the tank out. Hoped there might be an access plate in the boot to perhaps where the fuel gauge is plumbed in. IIRC you had an uprated fuel pump fitted which involved dropping the tank. Hopefully it wont come to this as I dont fancy messing around with a tank of petrol! I'll check into a little more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How stupid do you have to be to believe this ****?? No empirical evidence other than a test done with an MX-5 in Singapore that anyone could have made up. Even if the test figures are right, there is no proof of that broquet being the reason. What if they put it on the road at 35 C without the broquet and on a cool evening with the broquet? That's what certain fuel-additive companies are known to do. I have studied some physics, although some while ago, but anyone should realise that they give incoherent and different explanations as to how it works throughout their page. Has it also not occured to you that some of the people talking about this subject in this forum could be salespeople? Maybe I should just open up a company like that: Just a webpage with vague bullshit claims, so no-one can sue you and get someone to make nice looking aluminium tubes for you for 10 pounds and sell them on to morons for 90 pounds. Ah yes, I have heard of this great medicine that will solve all your problems and make you live for 200 years, all you have to do is shove a broquet up your arse for 30 minutes each morning. Have a look at http://www.pleasurethroughbroquet.com/. For ####s sake!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As the broquet is a catalyst, surely chemistry lessons would be of more use than physics. Perhaps some people should get an education before they open their mouths.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been reading the Scoobyboard and someone there said about the moneyback guarantee.His comments were how do you send it back when it is stuck at the bottom of your fuel tank!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Iceman,
Attach some fishing line to the broquet packet so that you can pull it out if you arent satisfied. (Im still trying to fathom out how to get the packet in the tank without dropping the tank out.) Irrespective of what our learned colleagues on here have been saying, Im going to chance it and if i cant get it in the tank or notice a difference I'll use the money back guarantee. Or I can put it on the mantle piece along side the perpetual motion machine I bought earlier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Michael
Chill man all thats hapening here is a bunch of people exchanging thoughts and ideashttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
it ain't life treatening after all.

Hi Howard and Braf its good to be back online [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Sean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PTB:
Yes, got this reply from Mr Broquet (UK) The in-lines are expensive (around £1.00 per bhp list price) and are physically rather big for a compact engine bay

Sean:
Ive tried to send emails to your work account but they are being returned to me as undelivered.

(I ordered the Broquet this lunchtime. The offer expires tonight I believe.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HowardB - perpetual motion machine ? I've got one too ! Oops, it's stopped at the moment......just a nudge to get it going.
Mine sits next to my Peter Brock Polariser (now that is an Australian joke) ! Feel the kharma.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just triyng tp bring the my point across, as it seems some people need a reality check. Pedantic, they are talking about an electrical reaction on their home page, so which department would that be, physics or chemistry... hmmmm. Also, their explanations look like a halfhearted attempt to use nuclear physics and when you talk nuclear physics it is both used in chemistry and physics, but originates from physics. I could go on, but that would make me look even more like a smartass.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did some reasearch and look what I found: http://www.289register.de/unleaded98.html . Read the article Clips from Classic Motor Monthly, DECEMBER 1998 towards the end and you'll find out how good broquet really is: More recently though, and much more importantly, these tin-pellet 'catalysts' have failed spectacularly on a number of occasions. The most publicised failure was that of a Practical Classics magazine staff-car - an Austin 1800 which was run on unleaded after fitting a CarbonFlo device. The engine's valve seats were destroyed after some 3000 miles of motorway use (Practical Classics has subsequently been extremely critical of all tin-based 'fuel catalysts') and Presumably both companies would be eagerly co-operating with the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs when the FBHVC starts its own tests on lead substitutes? Well, even if I had not previously detected a faint whiff of paranoia, I was now about to be engulfed in it. Apparently, the FBHVC tests will not be fair - because they are going to take place at MIRA (the Motor Industry Research Association track). And MIRA is partly funded by the petrol companies. The same petrol companies who will lose out on sales if tin-based catalysts are endorsed - since the use of these catalysts results in fuel savings. I think I probably went a bit quiet at that point, as it is terribly difficult to remain rational in the face of fervently held conspiracy theories.

So, you don't only get conned, but ALSO risk damage to your engine. So who is the first voluteer to test this great product? Howardb, you're not connected to the Broquet Int. Ltd. (fancy name, must be good!) by any chance? It's not the first time that bulletin boards have been used for marketing, and it seems to work. The scooby boys went for it. I REST MY CASE.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts