Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brembo calipers have turned from bright red to a pink colour. when you rub the calipers with a cloth they turn back to bright red,so has the lacquer come off .where can i get some lacquer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have the same problem in my calipers, but only a bit, on the top area.
I think that a normal lacquer won´t work because it must resist high temperatures. I´m thinking in asking in a Porsche garage or in a garage related to these cars which are using these kind of calipers many time ago. I think that they could have a good lacquer.

Bye

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you'll find it's not lacquer, it's powder coating. Which is baked on. In an oven. At temperatures around 1000°C. Only a little hotter than Claudius manages to get his brakes...

Recoating it will be a bugger as you have to strip the whole lot down, sandblast, reapply, bake in oven at gas mark 8, cool on wire tray etc. And paint won't really work - it burns off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is definitely a lacquer type coating on the calipers as some has come off mine. Do you usually lacquer powder coating?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Powder coating is *sort of* a type of lacquer, but it's baked on rather than air dried. Can still flake off like lacquer or paint would.

I think the point I was making was that high temperature paint can't take the strain! So you may be a bit stuffed...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to clarify (sorry to be a dunce http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >) there are two definite layers on the calipers. A top clear lacquer type layer which flakes off and below that a painted type layer. I thought powder coating was just a single layer?
Mr thickie signing off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quite often powdercoated parts are finished with a layer of transparent paint (at least my just powdercoated track wheels are).
By the way the coat on the calipers very easily gets damaged when working on them, I can hardly believe they are powdercoated.
René

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HH6

I've had quite a few things powder coated and it is possible to have a colour powder coat and then have a clear lacquer powder coat on top of that.

Teri

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They r powder coated (not at 1000 deg c tho , the aluminium wud melt at well under this :)) then clear coated on top.
Have seen quite a number now with the clear coat flaking . Will have 2 check if Porsche , BMW , Merc , Audi , Alfa etc suffer the same problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Evoboy is correct. Powdercoating involves two layers, one of the powdered color, then heat treated, then a clear coat over it. I've sprayed my brembos with a high temp exhaust enamel I purchased at a racing shop. The guys there use it to spray headers, certain exhaust pieces, engine blocks, valve covers, etc. They had different types, some that can withstand higher temperatures. I sanded the calipers down with my air sander, covering just the brembo logo with a piece of tape. Went ahead and sprayed it with this paint, went over it twice. So far it's holding up pretty well, for about 2,000 miles now. The weather has been pretty cold, so I dunno if that has any effect. Nevertheless, you should try it. If it peals, well remove the wheels again and re-spray it. The can only cost me 5 dollars, and I have enough to perform the job at least 4 to 5 more times. Paint is able to withstand 1200 farenheit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.