Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am now nearly a week into EVO ownership and I'm already looking to modify. Can anyone tell me if fitting an induction kit and HKS exhaust will help performance? In particular, I notice that at circa 6k revs it seems to breathe more heavily?? and would the additions help this?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yes , Apex-i filter , don't go 4 the HKS exhaust tho , check out the threads under exhausts for peoples views including mine.

U will c around 20-30 bhp gain with these mods.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Mark,

You could go the 'girly' routhe like me, swap the air-filter element for a hi-performance ralli-art item, this improves the breathing slightly. Because you have kept the air-box no heat sheilding will be required.

I would say this option would be safer in filtration terms as well.

HKS Hiper muffler, is a good choice in exhaust, it will be my choice when I get some pennies togeather.

Then praps a de-cat and amp; turbo down pipe followed by the Ralli-art ecu.

All this should yeild around 340bhp.

If I was you, I would invest in a turbo boost gauge now and have it fitted prior to the mods - you will only have to do it later anyway.

Beware of t

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
dazmakinen

Did you notice much of an improvement with the Ralliart panel filter over the standard item?
This is the route I am planning on going to complement my full Magnex exhaust.

I noticed in a previous thread you had some problems getting it fitted, how did you overcome this?

Regards,

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Mark1,
Fitting a cone type filter and freeflow exhaust will make your engine feel like its pulling, right thru the redline.
When I was testing cars prior to purchase, the standard e5 did indeed run out of puff at revs and amp;gt; 6000rpm.
The 6 I bought had the HKS mushroom filter and exhaust already fitted. It was evident from test driving this car
that was breathing a lot better at and amp;gt;6000rpm. TUNES ! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
There are two very good threads at the moment, one on Exhausts in technical/exhausts and one on filters in General, I'd suggest you have a good read of them both

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
come to bolney on the 11th for the largest collection of big bore exhausts in the south of england....

me: HKS Racing Suction Kit, HKS Hiper Muffler/De-cat/Magnex front, well pleased with it all.

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I have read in a recent thread that the HKS filters allow debris / dust into the pipe to turbo. Apparently there was a light coating of dust inside the pipe itself.

Might not be true in all cases though.

Ralli-art panel filter was easy to fit, once you get it in the right way round !

Its also re-useable for god knows how long.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
The BLITZ exhaust should be very good if fitted together with a power engineering
downpipe and decat pipe, other good choices could be the HKS hyper muffler with the extension kit, or the new apexi hayabusa.

The HKS racing suction kit looks and sounds nicely, and it's cheaper than another alloy pipe plus a ralliart panel filter or than an airbox with a filter.
The BLITZ filter is really good too but you keep the standard plastic pipe.
The APEXi should be good too.

Fit a boost gauge or a blitz dual turbo timer or a boost controller to monitor boost level.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

At present I have the HKS air pod filter and a custom made exhaust with Apexi N1 tip.

The HKS filter is pretty cool, but it gets dirty and you can't clean it - need to buy a replacement foam. The Apexi looks good too. The new yellow Trust AirInx is supposed to be good but I reckon it looks crap as it's too small and the surrounding chrome metal is $#IT :)

HKS make good exhausts and the BLITZ nurspec is supposed to be good too. I only went for my custom exhaust as I wanted the exhaust to exit to the right of the car (just like the HKS Kansai, Bozzspeed and JUN EVOs - highly respected cars). I went for the Apexi N1 muffler as it looks good and one of the few JAP mufflers that are universal. HKS, TRUST, BLITZ..etc don't make universal anymore, just kits!

Anyway, hope that helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing girly about panel filters! I have one, and no one would dare accuse my car of being girly! Yup, I have given up the coned filter, instead using a panel inside my now fully sealed and pressurised carbon air intake box.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I'm running a six with HKS Superpowerflow ( no debris problems yet) and a Super Dragger. Did think about other exhausts but the volume was the problem- in plain english the neighbours would have lynched me by now if I'd have got anything louder ( leave for work @ 06.30 every day). For me and my desire to stay alive the Dragger sounds good at an acceptable volume ( wish I could change it when blasting over a B road tho)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts