Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive fitted my VI with a complete st steel exhaust. (decatted)
Next step is the 'in breath'

Air restrictor? should I / shouldnt I take it out. Also how?

Then whats the best after market airfilter. HKS ? Ralliart? Some can be really expensive and there is a case of diminishing returns.

Thanks in advance for advice - BTW its much easier modding the evo with you lot out there!

Marc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In my opinion the Blitz induction kit is the best available. Firstly, because it is a metal mesh system it offers the least resistance for the air flow, and secondly as it is a 'dry' filter it doesn't need oiling or cleaning as per conventional cotton or foam filters. Finally as well as looking the business, it also gives a nice 'woosh' when you floor it, kinda like a dump valve..

Cheers,

Martin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey guys,
I am sorry, I have to disagree with the Blitz for Induction. Because, as you say, it has a wire mesh filter system, it lets almost everything past it. The air flow is good, but that is because it has such little resistance. Its finding a middle ground to be honest.

I went for the HKS green mushroom. Although it doesnt flow as free as the Blitz, it is better at filtering and essentially, safer for your engine.

I know a lot of friends who used the Blitz, after they took them out, the insides of their pipes was full of crap; bugs, flies, oil, dust....not so good for your engine.

Marc,
I have been trying to contact you. Do you ever answer your phone? The reason I didnt call you the other day is shown in the Muppet Forum on Scoobynet. Check my post

Cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
marc
What/where is this air restrictor?
I've fitted an APEX air filter and had all the intake hoses off and can't find anything that looks like a restrictor.
Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps Marc is referring to the restrictor in the outlet from the solenoid that controls bleed from the waste gate feed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the little bugger. It is the thing in the solenoid valve outlet. Removing it has made quite a difference in pick up. If anyone wants to see exactly where it is e-mail me and I'll send you a digital pic.
Adrian
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adrian,

Be aware that removing the restrictor has had the effect of raising your maximum boost. I believe this is by about two PSI. Your ECU should still be able to bring boost back down to the base level if it finds anything amiss.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PTB
Thanks for the warning. 2 PSI should be OK. Am I correct in thinking that the ECU uses the airflow into the engine to calculate boost pressure. If there is too much airflow then the ignition cuts. This hasn't happened and so I assume everything is OK.
Someone told me yesterday that Ralliart remove the restrictor out of the UK spec cars as standard, is this correct??
Also I've had an APEXi super AFC fitted so I can up the fueling at the top end if it is needed.
Thanks for the advice.
Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Adrian,

I only offered the info FYI not as a warning. I am sure that pulling the plug is safe.

The ECU will look at airflow as a way of avoiding excessive load. If other systems fail airflow is used as a safety net. Too much air means too much power!

For normal operation input from the knock sensor is used to aces conditions and help manage boost. If for whatever reason lifting boost creates unacceptable mechanical noise, the solenoid will be closed causing boost to fall back to base.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PTB
Cheers.
I've also found that the Super AFC can up the fuel by upto 50% above say 5k RPM when the throttle is closed or partilay closed. Will this provide a sort of anti-lag system?
Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Adrian,

I don’t really think so. Anti-lag is usually used to keep boost at low RPM and requires fairly severe ignition retard. Running rich can however suppress detonation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Adrian

Thanks for the email, I removed the grommet with the option of replacing it if it didn't run too well, but guess what?

....I dropped it and couldn't find the pesky little bugger!

That said the car seems to run fine

The boost gauge used to read 1.1 maximum, but as ptb rightly said, when I accelerate hard it reads 1.4, but then drops back to 1.1

From the posts on this thread, I am making the assumption that these peaks are okay?

I'm not sure if the car is actually any faster (it's bloody fast anyway), but then I've never been able to really feel the difference. (the same happened with the exhaust and air filter). What I can say is.......

I think I'll live without the grommet

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.