Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been in a car that brakes better than an Evo ??? If so, what was it ???? I've heard the Evo 7 extreme-s has pretty good brakes, has anyone experienced them ??

Regards

Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been in a couple, but they were essentially modified Evo's/Scooby's with harsher pads and/or uprated calipers. The only whinge I have about the standard brakes on my 6 is that I've managed to warp them (one of my rear discs, although the fronts were fine?).

Go browse the Brakes board, there's loads of discussions on which pads/calipers are the best... :D

Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've experienced the E7 extreme brakes as a passenger - never been in a car with any as good as that

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Extreme S brakes, which are 6 pot AP's with 362mm disks on the front and 4 pot on standard disks on the rear, are really good. They are helped by the fact that there is no ABS. On the 7 GSR, I think the brakes are very average really. Strangely, 2 of the best brakes that I can remember on the same make of car, Renault, with the 5 Turbo2 and the 5 GT Turbo. In addition, the brakes on the Caterham Superlight also stand out, but that had no weight to stop so I don't know if it really counts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool,

Do evo brakes fade at all in standard form ? Sorry, i guess i should put this in the brakes area, but I was new and naive....

My top 3 braking cars are

1. Evo VI
2. Impreza P1
3. Caterham

anyone been anything else of note when it comes to braking ?

Regards

Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PaulEvans,

To be honest I've never been in a car with brakes as bad as the Evo's (warpwise) :))
In my case I was never able to check their performance as they were warping like b##tards.
After every re-skimm I was driving even more conservatively and they were still warping. As if
that was not enough one time I got them warped after an oil service from my local mitsi dealers.
It was a loose-loose scenario. I know many people who had similar problems (some of them were
hard on the brakes and some others were not). I never visited a track with that car and I was very
gentle most of the times with the brakes (while stopping on the traffic lights I was using the handbrakes
to let the front disks cool down although my braking was very moderate). Being the owner of 9 cars
in about 9 years I've never met another car with such a problem.

Having a car that can stop but in the process shaking itself to pieces (due to brake judder) doesn't count as having
a good braking system to me :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I forgot ...

The Extreme S brakes are brilliant (If I manage to warp them with my driving I will
sell the car and buy a polo), though it takes some time to get used to them (especially
in the traffic).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Extreme S brakes are amazing. Like going from a 70's Mini in to a standard VI.

The only other car I've experienced excellent brakes in (but only as a passenger) is a Ford Racing Puma, like us VI owners they get warping problems but a colleague of mine has had his sorted once and for all and they are absolutely superb, now, in fact I'm erring on the side of saying they perform better than a VI! It is a light car though which helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The standard P1 brakes are shockingly bad - the Prodrive or AP upgrades are required.

Good brakes are best judged from the driving seat. Power is not the only hing that makes brakes good. Feel and modulation is important - being able to get on and off the brake quickly, and balance the car on the brakes.

I think you will find that the 996 brakes are also excellent, particularly the GT3 and turbo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Porsche Turbo with uprated pads. Just hanging in the seat belts when braking from 200. Then my EVO with Movit GT3/Turbo monobloc kit front (and rear in two months). The rears make a big difference as the car doesn't nose dive that much anymore hence having more grip at the rear which improves braking especially stability under hard braking even more.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anyone been anything else of note when it comes to braking ?

For sheer stopping power, the new M3's brakes are unbelievable for a 1600kg car. Do a couple of laps on a fast track and they'll turn into jelly though :(

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blade's got it nailed. it's not just the stopping power, but the feel, progressiveness (is that a word) and predictability (that is) that inspires confidence which is as important.

Believe it or not, my MY2000 Ford Transit (drums on the rear) has THE most fantastic brakes I have ever encountered. All the previous Fords I've driven have been pants. Had a MKIII RS Turbo that wouldn't stop, no matter what!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Warping and good brakes are two different things

Most people think ap is better because it brakes better not thru if you compare a brake system you have to change some things

first off all change brake fluid for higher boiling point
compare a brake system always use same brake pads it s stupid to compare standard pads which are fitted in the brembo system to ap calipers which are mostly delivered with higher friction pads (new ap sets are delivered with ferodo ds2500 )

my opinion is if you have a good set of discs with a good set of pads you don t have much braking differance with an ap set
ap is a better system for sure also a movit kit is better (monoblock calipers good discs) and if you use slick tires these systems will hold out longer on track

if you drive track days and don t use slick tires the standard system with upgraded discs and pads should hold out.

a clio cup car has 280 mm 1 piece discs and 1 pot brakes with ferodo pads ds3000 they have races for 30 minuts i never have seen a clio driver with braking problems and the company were i buy brake pads delivers also the brake pads for the clio cup he said to me they never have warped discs.

these cars are lighter i know but 1POT BRAKES 280mm discs car is ca. 900 kg
we talk about 4 pot brakes or 6 pot brakes with 320mm or bigger discs on a car ca. 1300 kg.
if you look at these figures you should think a 4 pot should easily manage it

most people think aftermarket kits are better because the pedal feel is better that s because those calipers have springs behind the pistons so you have no knock back of pistons and have a firm feel in youre pedal
the brembo s have no springs so after hard cornering you can have a pedal wich falls deeper than normal you can solve this by left foot braking on the straights thats what i do.

AP and movit kits are better for the long term.

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone been in a car that brakes better than an Evo ???

my 340r, feel is a zillion times better as is stability and there's only 650kegs to stop. Its all so effortless braking from high speeds. The whole car feels connected to the brake pedal and hence to your right foot .... the ability to bite and hold just before the point of lock-up is sensational. And cos the weight transfer is minimal compared to a heavier car, turning in and getting back on a steady throttle is a much more natural and amp; fluid and amp; a quicker processs. I also HATE abs and i have a gsr.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts