Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Their Evo 8 ‘standard’ brake pads are only £62 for full set front & rear.
Has anyone tried these and, if so, are they complete sh!te or are they acceptable for normal road use?
(Apologies if this has been covered before)

·
Registered
560 Posts
I believe them to fade badly after a braking hard a couple of times, never tried them myself, i wouldnt buy them though.:smthumbup

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Their Evo 8 'standard' brake pads are only £62 for full set front & rear.
Has anyone tried these and, if so, are they complete sh!te or are they acceptable for normal road use?
(Apologies if this has been covered before)
I bought some of these for my VI off Camskill a few weeks ago simply with a view to trying them out if only to see just how bad they are compared with the much more expensive aftermarket versions. I've already installed the rears (which seem fine, although they're probably not doing much anyway, and I might try to change the fronts tomorrow (from PF .11s). If I do I'll give them a run out and let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I bought some of these for my VI off Camskill a few weeks ago simply with a view to trying them out if only to see just how bad they are compared with the much more expensive aftermarket versions. I've already installed the rears (which seem fine, although they're probably not doing much anyway, and I might try to change the fronts tomorrow (from PF .11s). If I do I'll give them a run out and let you know how I get on.
I'd be interested to know how you get on with the fronts.

The OEM prices for discs and pads on Camskills site has always been good compared to others - so its just down to if they perform ok :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That will be great plip 1953. Let us know what you think.:smthumbup:

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
That will be great plip 1953. Let us know what you think.:smthumbup:
I fitted the OEM Camskill front pads this afternoon and have been out for a relatively short drive. The pedal was good straight away but after a few medium applications from 50mph down to 20mph they definitely showed improvement. In urban driving everything was spot on - good and progressive feel.

So what does one make of that? I'm sure the "experts" out there will say that that's all very well, but as soon as you get the brakes really hot they'll fade badly. OK, so they'll be no good on the track, but for normal road use the indications thus far are very good indeed.

I now have a dilemna insofar that I have recently purchased a secondhand set of AP front calipers and I'm now wondering whether or not to fit them. I probably will, but might just give the Brembos plus OEM pads a bit more time on the car while I ponder over which pads to fit with the APs.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I fitted the OEM Camskill front pads this afternoon and have been out for a relatively short drive. The pedal was good straight away but after a few medium applications from 50mph down to 20mph they definitely showed improvement. In urban driving everything was spot on - good and progressive feel.

So what does one make of that? I'm sure the "experts" out there will say that that's all very well, but as soon as you get the brakes really hot they'll fade badly. OK, so they'll be no good on the track, but for normal road use the indications thus far are very good indeed.
Its my understanding that brake fade is a result of heat build up that causes brake fluid boil resulting in reduced pressure between pad & disc, Its not actually a pad compound problem, as all brake pads get very hot, but more a brake ventilation issue (which should be ok on an Evo). Its certainly worth considering buying the OEM versions that are 1/4 the price of high spec versions if they are decent performance. Thanks plip1953 it will be interesting to see how they get on.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have had them fitted since last September with no problems at all. I do relatively local driving but dont however track the car.

I do plan to get a better brake setup but in the interim they do the job and are cheap.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Brake fade is caused by a build up of gas between the pad surface and disk surface. It is a brake pad compound issue. The sensation you'd get is if you put your foot on the brakes and nothing happened. The brake pedal would feel 'normal'.

Better, high temperature capable pads will stop this happening/ reduce the effect as they wouldn't release so much gas at the lower temperatures. Bedding your pads in properly and fitting cross drilled or grooved disks will also help.

What you're referring to with the fluid boiling would result in a spongy or non-existent brake pedal and so the pads don't actually clamp the disk as well.
This is normally due to old fluid that has a lot of moisture in it (the moisture evaporates...) or fluid that doesn't have an adequate boiling point to cope with the application it's used in. Rbber brake hoses can also add to this issue.
Remedies for this are larger brake disks and calipers (more surface area to heat up and quicker to cool down) and decent fluid. You can boil any brake fluid if you try hard enough though. ;)

With regards to parts that will actually increase stopping power and brake efficiency; Pads should be the first place to look. These are the friction material afterall. Then look at hoses. These will maintain brake pressure. Then disks. These will only improve stopping power if they have a more aggressive make up. I.e. the material used is softer... You'll probably find that the disks won't add to stopping power at all, unless you go for cross drilled or grooved disks and you use them very hard. The drilled and grooved disks will gasses produced by the braking process escape more efficiently so, your stopping power will stay consistent for longer.

Paul
Its my understanding that brake fade is a result of heat build up that causes brake fluid boil resulting in reduced pressure between pad & disc, Its not actually a pad compound problem, as all brake pads get very hot, but more a brake ventilation issue (which should be ok on an Evo). Its certainly worth considering buying the OEM versions that are 1/4 the price of high spec versions if they are decent performance. Thanks plip1953 it will be interesting to see how they get on.

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
As above there are 2 types of "brake fade" with basic symptons etc as below...

Pad fade - Brake pedal stays hard but braking force reduces no matter how hard you press, this is because the pad friction material has gone beyond its peak working temperature and lost its friction properties, there are other things going on but thats the basics. The fix for this is to fit uprated pads that work at higher temperature more suited to car/brakes usage ;)....there is often a downside to this which can be more dust or noise etc but brakes like most things are always a compromise.

Fluid fade - Pedal goes soft/spongy as brakes get hot, in extreme cases down to the floor!!, this is the heat transferring from discs/pads/caliper into brake fluid which then boils and looses it capability to push the pistons in caliper and hence pads onto discs. The fix is better brake fluid with higher boiling point, Motul RBF600 is the best i have found before the ultimate which is thought to be Castrol SRF, personally ive found the motul to be good enough for most applications and its a lot cheaper than the Castrol.

Standard OE spec pads like the Camskill ones are perfectly fine normal street and road use, just dont try to push them too hard and you will have no problems, if you push the car hard on road you will run into problems as they are not designed for that :)

Hope some of the above helps :D

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
228 Posts
Adding cooling ducting/hose significantly increase a pad's performance range too. If the brakes feel powerful enough but fade when they're hot even with uprated pads then simply reducing temperatures can help the problem. If you can force-feed air into the back of the discs (which normally have an "intake" on the disc backplate/shield) via ducting then you'll see a massive reduction in brake temps.

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
I find all of this very helpful and constuctive. I've been out again this morning in my Evo with the Camskill-supplied OEM pads and really surprised myself by locking the front brakes (there's no ABS on the VI Extreme) from around 40mph (dry road surface) with only moderate effort applied to the pedal!

Interestingly the OEM pads have a significant taper on both leading and trailing edges and compared with the PF .11s I reckon the contact area is only around two thirds the size. Perhaps the good intitial bite and feel of the OEMs is at least partly down to this?

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Are these pads from camskill original oem pads? Or just a knock off?
The ones I was sent were Apec.

Edited to add: Perhaps worth adding that Camskill do not describe these as OEM, but simply as a "standard" pad for normal road use. They even say they will fade badly if the car is driven hard. Neverytheless I can't fault the performance in normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I got the rear brake disc and pad set from camskill and the pads are Apec, not bothered too much as it's only the rears. will see how i get on.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
im still considering which brakes to go for and would be interested on how the standard pads perform?

oh and how much dust is there compared to pf .11?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts