Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have searched your previous posts and feel 100% better knowing I am not the only one ! My 18,000m EVO 6 has now developed the same problems with judder from any speed over 60, when you get down to 60 it seems to dissapear. My run out is .05mm !!?? - Is that really causing the problem ! - Seeing as you guys have had re-placements for some time now - how did you get on. Recommendations ? (with contact phone numbers would be great) - Thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Justin
I've had group N discs on and warped them last week after about 2500 miles. I was going pretty quick when I noticed that the juddering had returned. I'm going to buy some two piece ones from dragon autosport 01206865444. These are the only discs that I've heard of that no-one has managed to warp (other than the AP kit which is very expensive).
Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to BTR in Castleford, the Dragon kit is not yet ready, there have been a few problems with cracking. Can Alan confirm this?

AP are working on a two piece disc and bell that's a direct replacement (so cheaper). But the first sets they made and tested... warped! So now they're trying drilling and grooving.

Me? I'm trying using the handbrake whenever I'm stopped to avoid holding it on the discs. Ask me in another 1,500 miles if it makes any difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first set of (TEST) discs which were given (not sold) to Mark J to try out suffered some cracking but still managed several trackdays without warping.
We called these the MkI's. After some design mods we produced a MkII of which five pairs are in circulation. ALL of them have seen MULTIPLE trackday action with NO warping. The only rider to this is the set on Andrew Bolton's car - he has now reported a couple of hairline cracks. These have done several trackdays. They do not warrant changing BUT we are now on a MkIII version which uses a different disc (and revised bell to accomodate) which is far superior to the MI/MKII's. It is a curved vane rotor which is fully crossdrilled at source (i.e not by us on a pillar drill!). Its original application was roadgoing 200mph sportscar stuff. Without a doubt it will be the best disc and bell assembly on the market and cheaper than AP.
The guys using the MKII's will get free bell upgrades when they replace their discs.
As far as I know the AP conversion still isnt sorted as anybody using them super hard on a track warps them. (although I'm happy to be corrected on that).
Hope this covers it all but I'll try to keep an eye on this post.

Alan @ Dragon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Alan, keep us all posted.

I suspect there will be a lot of customers when you get this right!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alan
It's typical that two days after I spoke to you (ordered Fuel Cut defencer), and said my Group N discs were OK they warped whilst out with a few other evo owners on the road. I'm going to get them skimmed and then order your two piece jobbies when the Bank balance has recovered from Xmas.
Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you will find boys that brembo group N disc's will last alot longer if they are are run in correctly, the same with standard disc's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr Fix It
They were run in correctly with a series of low speed stops gradually increasing in speed. They still warped though and didn't last as lomg as the standard discs. It prob to do with the style of my driving on the day it happended though. I've got to say that they did work very well with the Mintex pods even if they were a bit noisy. They aren't too bad until you try and use them hard from about 70|PLS| MPH then the steering wheel vibrates like hell. The two piece disc and bells are the only things I've heard of that no-one has warped full stop.
Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alan

How much are the mkIII discs? Mine are warped and I was thinking about getting them skimmed. Is it worth it?

TIA

Daryl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To give everyone an update on what AP are doing...

I have run APs new two part disk (standard caliper) setup for the last three months.
AP are still in a development phase and they would be the first to admit that these are NOT 'the finished item'
The first set lasted for a day at Silverstron (GP circuit) and then warped during a day (in the rain) at Outlon.
These were replace (FOC) by a set of Groved disks. These have survied a day at Snetterton and so far have not caused any problems. However, there was one other guy at Snetterton who had the groved AP disks and they warped.

AP are currently reviewing where to go next, they will probably be some activity in January or February. I may possibly be going to Bruntingthorpe with them to test.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been talking to a racing team that races Grp N Evo VIs (in the WRC), and they told me that the discs were not the problem, and that we would have the warping with any brand. The problem comes from the fact that the pads are too hard for the disc. The only solution to this problem is to choose much softer pads, which you will change more often, but at least they are not as expensive as the discs

Good luck

Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have to agree with Tarik.

Had terrible juddering when running Brembo 'N' discs and Pagid Blue pads on my Scooby.

Replacement Discs helped of course but problem came back very quickly. Replacing the Pagids with Prodrive pads (Ferodo?) have improved matters.

NeilR

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tarik

What pads do your race friends use ? I am unaware of any pads on the market that are softer than the standard Misi pads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tarik, your friends principals are correct but the bottom line is that a standard performance production saloon should be ale to leave the factory with brakes that are capable of stopping the car more than a handfull of times without warping. Most other manufacturers get it right, most notably Porsche. They offer harder pad options as factory/dealer upgrades without any trade off. Standard Mitsi pads are plenty soft enough as Mark J. is intimating. I dont know of any rally team (Grp N) that runs standard pads, let alone softer ones. Most of them seem to prefer super hard material and throw the discs away after each event!

Alan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts