Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got the Goodridge hose kit for my Mak. When i fit this i'm planning on changing the brake fluid. Any recommendations - Castrol 5.1 or the really expensive silicon stuff?

Cheers,

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What ever you do dont go for silicon, it's totaly incompatible with a mineral brake fluid system and it is slightly compressable, people may say its good because it wont absorb water, but don't touch it.

As for what mineral fluid to for DoT 5.1 standard has the highest wet boiling point nearly every body sells it, even halfords. DoT 5.1 wil still absorb water just like DoT 3 and amp; 4 but when it has you have to get the breaks much hotter before it will boil. AP racing also do Racing 600 brake fluid it may be higher spec than 5.1 I don't know.

DON'T USE SILICON

Dunc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 litre will be plenty if you want to completely flush, but changing all of that is knakering work I've got an automatic bleed kit from Gunson wnich works by forcing the fluid through using air pressure from the spare tyre. I think it cost about £15 for the kit but you need a spare brake fluid resevoir cap with a 10mm hole drilled in the top of it for it to work, when it does its a piece of #### one man job.

Dunc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been recomended to use Mintex C-Tech fluid. The people who supply quite a few rally teams recomended it when I bought my group N discs off them. I'm changing mine this week as the Braided lines have arrived from dragon today.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the Goodridge hose kit and new fluid fitted on Wednesday by my very friendly and accommodating Mitsi dealer. I've not done any extended running but the brake feel is definitely improved and the initial bite seems better. A worthwhile addition in my view.

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry - brake fluid was Castrol super DOT 4.1, it was the one that took my eye while I was at Tweeks.

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
During a recent pasting of an Evo VI Sprint on a rather twisty road the brake pedal became extremly mushy and only started braking a few centimetres from the floor although the brakes slowed the car just fine.

What fluid do Ralliart fit as standard and what would anyone recommend replacing it with?

Simon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DOT standards only tell you how much silicon there is in the fluid. The boiling point in 2 different DOT 5 fluids can be different!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AP Racing 551 has been recommended to me by Alan Zini of Dragon Motorsport. I'm not sure if its out yet but as its a racing fluid it needs to be changed quite regularly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont know what Claudius was on about the DOT rating refers to the boiling point characteristics for Glycol-ether based fluids (normal stuff).
DOT 3 dry boiling point 205 deg C, wet boiling point 140 deg C
DOT 4 dry boiling point 230 deg C, wet boiling point 155 deg C
DOT 5 dry boiling point 260 deg C, wet boiling point 180 deg C

These are standards set by the US department of Transport (DOT) so any fluid stating a DOT rating must conform to that standard. The DOT rating is normally increased by additives containing Hydroxl compounds with neutalise the effect of the absorbed water.

Why dont you give Ralliart a call and see what they reccomend?

Dunc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I had my Impreza with Scoobysport Brembos I used Silkolene brake fluid, I think Dot4.1 is what is recommended. BTR Prep who service and rally prep Evo's also use Silkolene oils, but I dont know the DOT rating for the brake fluid. Dont think you'll go wrong with 4.1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have changed my fluid too i have castrol super dot 4 it works great also on track days i think you can buy it at demon tweaks
i have bought it at halfords in holland but don t know i you have that store in the uk

it s not very expensive works great good combinationhttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info - it was actually Castrol Super DOT4, not 4.1 - can't read! If it's good enough for Andre it must be OK http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >.

I gave the brakes a bit of a pasting round N Wales on Sunday and the combination of hoses and fluid seemed to work fine.

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My calipers are a bit dark red and the brembo sign is getting a bit yellow so i am very hard on brakes but i am very happy with castrol super dot 4 i had ap 550 and i have tried ap 5.1 this castrol gives the hardest pedal feel of them all also when its hot both ap oils boiled faster then the castrol

this castrol super dot 4 is the replacement of the old castrol 5.1 so its as good 5.1 maybe even better

Andre

1 - 16 of 16 Posts