Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dave,

this is an interesting, intelligent article and i have printed it out to reread at my leisure. Given I have a slight wobble (particularly after 10 pints) I may try what he suggests for recovering disks. what he says rings true because i normally don't use the brakes hard and therefore the layer of coating would get worn off.

One question though, what the f*** is garnet paper?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was a myth after owning three EVO's and no disk warping.

I had my first track day at Brands the other day and guess what, warped disks.

Skeletor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Data point: I've done about 26000 miles and maybe a dozen trackdays in my VI, and I've yet to experience any of the alleged disk warp with the OE disks and amp; calipers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did 4 pairs of disks in about 14 months , 8000 miles and three track days,
before finally making the best decision ive made in ages and fitting AP front and rear!

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Done 40,000 miles and still on the same set of disks that the car came out of the factory with :):):)

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
N. Ring,
Only been on track once and never use the brakes hard without warming them up first. Also always let them cool down after use. Have been on many a 'spirited' cross country drive keeping up with all the other Evo's and Impreza's etc that I've been out with so I'm not exactly a Golf Diesel driver.

At the end of the day, believe it or not, the Evo is sold as a ROAD car. People start complaining about warping discs after track days and after hard abuse. It's not meant to be a TRACK car and is not meant to be raced flat out for every single day of its life. If people recognised this and treated the car accordingly then I believe you will see a dramatic reduction in the amount of warped brakes. All my own opinion though :D

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Evo`s are made for group n racing (at least our RS). Even Autobahn driving overheats the std. brakes (those stops for those damm trucks).

My Movit/Ralliart brakes work really well. I have done over 200 laps on the Nürburgring with the same rotors. This spring I noticed some vibration with the Pagid 4-4 so I am now using std. pads: this brake system does not get hot enough on the Ring when wet!!

The Recaro Raeder Racing Evo 7 and the Ralliart Evo 7 both use the same brakes during the Endurance Series on the Ring: they are both very pleased. (In the new Sport Auto, Uwe Nittel mentions the Movit / Ralliart brakes!). And they drive hard, with slicks!!

AP is nice, but doesnt last as long. AP is made for racing only and the teams replace the rotors and pads after every little race or after one or two stages in rallying!!!!! So, that much about AP!

If you want a brake solution, contact Ralliart about their monobloc brake-upgrade. The Ralliart logo on the calipers looks very nice too!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
N ring wait a moment

I talked to guy who drives a WRC subaru impreza with ap 6 pot LC calipers and ferodo ds3000 with 363 mm x 32 discs floating they have not changed the discs in whole year. and they did lots of rally s.

I love the movit s though.

andy about warping evo discs.

i have a civic type R i drive it like an idiot and also on track i brake very very late i have no problems with the discs on the honda. So it is possible to get good standard brakes.

A few years back when i bought my first evo it was a 6 I looked at the brake system and i said to my dad see this car has good brakes i don t have to upgrade it like the crap subaru brakes. Stupid ME.

LOL

Now i am used to warped discs it s a kind of love hate relation:)

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
André

same as me went from the Scoob to the EVO thinking I would never have to bother about warped brakes again. How wrong I was!

Get a Movit system, you know it makes sense for you! You'll save loads of money in the end!

Just talked to N.Ring regarding another meet at the Ring soon. Although you and N.Ring will leave me for dead I'm up for it! Last time it was big fun although having an off with him in the car. This time I hope I'll be quicker as the more laps I drive the better it gets and I'll have my suspension sorted out.

BTW tomorrow Drift Challenge in Hockenheim! Maybe next year I'll compete with my old man's BMW 635!!

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dave,

back to the original article rather than the rerun of the Movit/AP match. i've read this a couple of times now and from my experiences can believe what the guy is saying namely:-

1. the disks are not warped - correct as my local Mitsi dealer checked the run out.
2. the problem is caused by uneven deposits of brake pad and cemetite on disk, caused by incorrect running in of brakes OR in certain pad/disks combinations by heavy use of brakes after a period of light use following the running in - this is probably the case with my brakes as when i got the car the disks were hardly worn (after 3000 miles you'd expect a slight lip on the edge) and i used the brakes pretty lightly until i trod on them hard going up the a303 when i noticed the vibration.

It is my belief that the particular combination of standard disk and standard pad on the evo is susceptible for light brake use to wear away the evenly deposited layer created during the brake running process. The next heavy use of brakes will then cause uneven deposits on the disk and the assosiated vibration.

This would explain why many people who have used the brakes hard eg evoboy (i should know as i've tried to follow him) have had no problems, whereas people like me who do alot of motorway driving with light brake use between serious braking have had problems.

In an ideal world we should all be able to go back to Mitsi and say the disk/pad combination of the e6 is unsuitable for normal road use . Back in the real world we are stuck with having to change disks/pads at our cost.

Also in the article it said that dot5 brake fluid was subject to vibration foaming and would cause a spongy pedal. Is this right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts