Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*Very* nice bit of kit :)

Didnt you have any problems with it? i`ve read alot on her recently about people buying BOV`s and them not working correctly/sounding wrong etc.

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that a Blitz Super Sound BOV?
Why is HKS no good then, I'm using standard still but thinking of getting one soon.

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it is a Biltz Dual Drive Sequential Speed as mentioned in the Subject Line. HKS I was told keeps the turbo from spinning more freely, but dont flame me, I dont know if it's true, I was told this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Top for Street Fighter.

Gosilla

The HKS BOV only opens when the pressure makes it open, the Blitz works with intake manifold pressure also, opens earlier, keeps the turbo spinning. Gear change is amazing!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Claudius,
Excuse me M8 , but yer wrong about how the HKS SSQV operates.

4 a full explanation c the HKS US website.

Speaking as an HKS user , the SSQV is top stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry Evoboy, I was just passing on info from someone else whom I asked. Let me check the site.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just checked http://www.hksusa.com but cannot find anything that would contradict what I said about it. It explains how the small and big valve work together for different boost pressures, that's it.

It also says there that you do not get idle stability problems. In that case, why do some people here have them and why do they sell an idle stabilizer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so what are the limitations of the standard recirc valve. I know we have had the discussions as to the benefit of aftermarket BOV's and that the conclusionis that there is no benefit other than scaring old ladies :D but there must be a limit for the standard equipment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In fact, the advantage comes from the lack of turbo spool up time when changing gears up. We estimate a 1 sec time period before the car starts pulling again after gear change when comparing mine to std.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Simon,
IIRC, the limits of the standard recirc valve are that it will leak boost back to the intake when under high pressures and so you won't be able to hold high boost figures consistently. I think this is the reasoning however someone can coorect me if I'm completely way off the mark.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Claudius ,
Maybe u misunderstand the SSQV operating description , it is not controlled by boost pressure but by pressure variations , which then , depending on the amount of variation open either the small primary valve or both the primary and larger secondary valve. Boost pressure actually helps close the valve , so the higher the boost the tighter the seal , it cannot leak either under boost or at idle.

Conventional valves rely only on a spring to provide seal pressure , so the spring needs 2 b heavy which means it is less sensitive 2 throttle variation , ie the throttle needs 2 b fully lifted b4 the valve opens.
The factory valve is not designed 2 cope with higher boost pressures , so the spring is 2 weak 2 seal when boost is raised , also the valve ages quite quickly so will leak even at stock boost levels eventually.

Looks like the Blitz Dual Drive is trying 2 copy the HKS SSQV :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Andy. Now the difficult question - you say that the limit is high boost. How high. What is the max before I need to fit something else?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok this is going to be a surprise...but after trying hks, and others i have gone back to the standard one in the standard position

i am however venting it to atmosphere as i am using a map sensor rather than airflow and so stalling/overfuelling is not an issue

i data logged the boost rise and there was actually **NO difference** provided your foot is held flat

i am running 1.7 bar held in the midrange, tapering it down to 1.45 using closed loop boost control

boost presure in the control line will push the standard one closed, so trying to close it you have boost pressure |PLS| spring, against just boost pushing open, also the cylinder at the end works to convert flow in the control line into pressure much like a brake cylinder

you do however need to have your foot flat to hold it closed if you lift slightly/or don't completely floor it the pressure in the control line will drop and it will release air which you can hear escaping

reversing the valve or fitting a decent after market one will cause it to close on part throttle meaning you will get better throttle response and the *appearance* that the car is spooling more quickly, however this makes the throttle less linear and makes the car more difficult to drive if you want to feather the throttle to reduce power a little, you get jolt judder, etc ie the full boost on part throttle problem

the other advantage is that you can keep a good spool on the turbo by letting it vent a bit and then as soon as you floor it it will snap shut and you will get a v fast boost response

please note again that this is operating it vta, the standard recirculate method must cause some turbulence in the intake flow, hot air, flow out the airflow meter, etc etc

also again you *must* have the throttle wide open for it to hold shut

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have got a HKS SSQV and it sounds quite ordinary, ie like a Bailey Dump Valve, but when the HKS Racing Suction Kit went on the next day the HKS SSQV sounds Wicked! sounds like Wastegates :) when your decelarating.

Theres also a Cruise going down Brighton this Weekend I hear so hopefully I will c some of u guys there!

I have got a Silver Evo 6 Tommi Makinen, with the plate S8 LEO, so look out 4 me!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I got that Evoboy, I was talking about how fast it opens when you lift off.

I LOVE YOUR HKS BOV, OK? :) :) :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about the screw at the back of the SSQV, does it need to be changed or is it correctly setup by default for an E6 ?

Mike / www.lancer.fr.st

1 - 20 of 24 Posts