Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,help me please..I understand that the principal point of a blow off valve is to prolong the life of your turbo? but, does it have any performance advantages. I know they are really quite cheap. howeasy are they to fit for an average person..are these the things that make that wooosh noise between gear changes?

would like some advice please

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Having just spent 3 or 4 weeks on sorting out diffrent bov's etc I can offer a little advice.. Your car comes with a Recurculation BOV as standard, this one is a closed unit that loops back into the engine making no noise some people say that this plastic bov is best left alone and does te job perfectly well, they are probably right.. I fitted a Forge Motorsport Vent to Atmosphere BOV a few weeks ago, the VTA bovs are the ones wich make the noise as the air escapes out of the valve.. After installing this, it gave me a noise although not to loud.. But I also got some strang idling problems with it, and my car felt slower.. I took it back and bought a HKS Super sequential Valve and put this on, making a very loud noise and making no noticiable diffrence to performance or idling, a very good unit..

As far as installing them are concerned, its all very easy, took me less than 5 mins to install the Forge, and about 10 mins for the HKS, as the HKS goes on in a slightly diffrent way.. If you like all the noise etc, i recommend the HKS but its a little more expensive, around the £250 mark, but i bought mine second hand so made no diffrence to me! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so, to recap. it goes woosh but has no benefit what so ever to the running of the car? is it worth it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RC EVO

I had the HKS fitted by someone, this caused terrible idling problems (I know that there is another piece of kit that help resolve this), I hated the noise, it was far too loud, the performance on my car was crap (but this was probably due to other things done) RC developments, took this off and replaced it with the original (as well as some other tweeks) the car runs like a dream, does not feel as though it is stalling and that awful noise has gone. Personally I would not bother wasting £250 odd. (My opinion)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appearently VTA have idling pbs.

I fitted a Forge recirc. and a Blitz air filter, it is loud as well. They say it doesnt let pressure bleed off as the OEM one does, and I think it makes a tiny difference and great sound. Costs GBP 120 or sthg, looks nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seems like a personal ting..250 squids is probably spent more wisely on Burger king and SUL perhaps?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not have paid £250 for the HKS but I got a great deal from Barry on these boards for the HKS and a PowerFlow Induction kit... But The noise outa the HKS is Very loud and makes people on the sidewalk jump when you go past em, worth it for that me thinks! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just get a performance airfilter and do away with the standard airbox(Hks,K|PLS|n,Apex-i etetc)this will give a power gain and you can hear the standard blowoff valve doing its stuff.
Not as loud as a VTA but you get a nice whoosshhh noise!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So do the BOV's work or not?
One thing I do find after having a scoob is that the lag is terrible if you don't do quick gear changes!
I was thinking of getting one to prevent the lag and am not worried about the noise, so do they work?
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve,
Fitting a BOV will not improve the situation regarding lag on the turbo. The existing BOV vents the excess pressure after the turbo back into the air intake line and so an aftermarket VTA will not do anything different apart from vent the air to a different place.

As well, the main reason that you get lag in between gear changes is because there is a rapid reduction in exhaust gas flow when you take your foot off the accelerator and therefore the turbo stops spinning which is why the only real way to avoid lag in between changes is to go for an anti-lag setup that keeps the turbo spinning.

The one thing that the BOV does is it stops a reverse pulse of air going back down the intake, when the throttle is rapidly shut on gear change, and hitting the turbo which may cause damage to the turbo.

The idling problems already mentioned with VTA's are that sometimes they can leak under the high vacuum in the plenum at idle but there are many VTA's that have different methods of overcoming this.

To sum up then,
Standard recirc BOV vents the air to the intake to stop damage to the turbo and possible confusion with the airflow meter due to reverse flow.
Aftermarket VTA vents the air to atmosphere to stop damage to the turbo etc etc.... May have problems on idling due to leakage but this is not the case for all VTA's
Anti-lag system will reduce lag during gear changes by keeping the turbo spinning.

Hope this helps

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andy,thats the clearest and simplest explanation of the workings, and the difference between the 2 types of Bov I have seen so far on this forum,it made things clearer to me and Im sure will help others.It was more importantly it was unbiased.

Thank You:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got an HKS SSbov which seems to be working fine (with no idle problems) but makes 2 noises when it operates. Firstly the normal vta noise which I wont attempt to replicate in print, followed by a whistle. Sometimes I get the first noise only, sometimes both, sometimes just the whistle - although this may be down to how loud the music is :)
Is this normal ??

Darryl.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have to agree the HKS is a top piece of kit,its got twin chambers so it stays closed at idle.the most important point to note is that the tension on the spring needs to be adjusted to ensure proper operation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts