Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do the timing marks represent on the bottom pully cover??

It looks like BTDC - BeforeTDC?

Then theres two more marks, the second looks to have a T above it?? I'm guessing that is where the pulley should align when no.1 is at TDC???

Car wont boost above 1.6bar after replacing head gasket, though i bought the car with running issues so there could be something else wrong aswell. Compression check shows fine on all cylinders now :)

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cam timing was spot on when i rebuilt the engine, however i had a problem with the headgasket and so the head had to come off again. To do this i ty-wrapped the belt onto the cam pulleys, and then suspended the pulleys with wire away from the head whilst i delt with the head gasket. The only thing i can think of now is that the cam belt has possibly slipped a tooth on the bottom pulley.

When i align the cam pulleys with the rocker cover, the bottom pulley is aligned with what looks to be the "T" and not the BTDC if that is indeed it says.

:)

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
Easiest way to check, the outter crank pulley (the 1 that eventually fails and flys off the car) sits on a dowel, when the crank is timed up in the correct position that dowel sits at the 3 o'clock position, and you should just about beable to see it even with the front wheel on.

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Easiest way to check, the outter crank pulley (the 1 that eventually fails and flys off the car) sits on a dowel, when the crank is timed up in the correct position that dowel sits at the 3 o'clock position, and you should just about beable to see it even with the front wheel on.
Cheers, from what Evonut says it possibly sounds like the timing is one tooth out. The car is at my parents so i will have to check it when i'm next across there at the weekend. Below is how the timing is set a.t.m. with the top cam pulleys lined up with the marks on the rocker cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
I would be whiping of the bottom cover and looking properly - the oil pump could be out also making the balance shaft out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts