Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Apologize for asking a question which I'm sure has been addressed endless times in the past, but what is a safe boost level for a stock/very mildly modded Evo? I've done a search on here, and seems there is no one consensus answer. Assuming stock boost at 1.0 bar, I've heard/read everything from 1.1 to 1.3 bar as safe (i.e., no detonation) for a stock engine.

My car only has a K and amp;N filter upgrade and a newly installed boost controller/gauge. I intend to get an exhaust upgrade soon, but not just yet. I've set boost at 1.1 for now, as I don't relish the idea of destroying my motor!

Not sure how much of a difference this makes, but the weather is very warm/humid where I live.

Thanks and cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
You havn't said what evo you have or what mods you have done to it. As most evo's are surprisingly differant, comp ratios etc. and mods make a diferance as to what boost it is running over standard and what is safe to run.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
blairevo3,

Sorry, I have an Evo5 (RS). I did mention my (limited) mods however: just a K and amp;N filter and Apex boost controller... that's it right now for engine-related items. I realize I should have gone with an exhaust before all else, but haven't found a suitable one where I live just yet... that remains a priority however.

Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
So what? Do you think I can go buy a HKS exhaust down the road in Monte Carlo? Just banks and clothes here...
I ordered it from IRS in Japan (www.irs.co.jp). Also ordered Cusco tower bars. Order an exhaust!! I got the HKS Hyper muffler system with GT extension kit. MAXI:

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any exhaust shops in your erea? Ask them to make one! Its not hard and most probly cheaper!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Exhaust shops here are dodgy at best, believe me. I'd save a ton of money but it would not be worth the savings. I will probably go HKS or Tanabe, after all is said and done.

To ask my earlier question again... how high can I boost safely on an E5, assuming only a filter mod? I've left peak boost at 1.1 bar...

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Boosting higher can result in fuel cuts with the original ECU and is not too efficient without the exhaust. Get the exhaust!

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 6, but mechanically, I believe they are the same? I am running approx 1.2 - 1.3 bar safetly now, thats by reducing my boost slightly to avoid fuel cut. (I don't have to do that now, the summer weather doesnt help breathing). I have heard that some people claim to run upto 1.6 bar safely with no internal mods.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys

My car regularly runs 1.5 bar with con rod bolts done.
If these have not been done than I would recommend you only boost up to 1.3 bar to be safe.

My car has even been up to 1.6 bar but I turned it down for safety.(Damn quick http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >)

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Running 24lb (1.6 bar) on completely stock internals. Full 3 Exhaust and free flow intake. I have set the mixture very rich to suppress detonation on pump gas and have put significant timing advance at low RMP. The engine is not revved beyond 7k.

Don't try this at home kids.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Blow Dog,

Are you running the 1.2-1.3 bar with a bigger exhaust? Would boosting up to this level using the stock exhaust compromise the motor's durability/safety?

I can't wait to get an exhaust! |EQU|)

Everyone, thanks for all the replies. Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
hesperus,

If I remember right from your past post, you live relatively near me. Philippines, right? If you have the chance, I think AutoPlus in EDSA has a full exhaust kit from Tanabe.

Happy motoring.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
TurboAWD,

From your profile and your homepage link, am I safe in assuming that you're the (lucky) owner of the Veilside-clad Evo5? IF SO, then you've probably seen me hanging around your shop a few times recently. I'm one of your customers! |EQU|)

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Hesperus,

Ooops. Heh heh, my mistake. Maybe next time we meet, you must tell me you're Hesperus http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Shorty,

1 Bar |EQU| 14.5 psi

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
TurboAWD,

Actually I don't think we've met... I only know Jonathan and Raymond, and even then only casually the few times I drop by your shop (only in the past month since I've gotten my E5). Though I must say that I frequented your shop several times back when Autoplus just opened in Luna Mencias years ago!

In any case, next time I'm there, I'll be sure to say hi .

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts