Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the review today of the P1 Vs Evo 6, there is a statement that the official Ralliart Cars have a 'Ralliart tweeked boost solenoid'.

So what is the solenoid, what does it do, and what tweek have ralliart made ??

Confused ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's probably bullshit, made up to cover what was said by the magazine a few months ago about P1 being hugely faster than VI.
The boost solenoids can be swapped for HKS items to create larger boost though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The boost solenoid is used by your ECU to control boost. Starting from the begining:

Your turbo wastegate is set to open at a pressure of only about 7psi. So how come you can boost to 14 psi or more? The boost solenoid is the answer. The solenoid is tee-d into the pressure source line running to your wastgate. When the solenoid is open (normal condiitons) it bleeds of the pressure going ot he wastegate and sends it back to the intake. This allows the manifold pressure to reach higher than 7psi while the wastegate only sees 7psi. If the ECU detects a problem, it will close the solenoid dropping your boost to a safe 7psi. I don't know bout newer Evos but at least on the older ones, the outlet of the solenod has a small restrictor in it. If you take the rstrictor out, you can bleed more pressure from the wastegate so the manifold pressure to allow the wategate to see 7psi will be increased. i.e. more boost |EQU| and amp;gt; more power. I should make it clear that the solenod is something that comes with the car form the factory, it is not an add-on. Now GReddy, HKS etc. make boost controllers that repalce the solenoid valve with a new solenoid valve and a little computer that controls the new solenoid valve independently of the ECU, allowing you to set the boost wherever you want it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Wreckleford, Thanks .. I understood that !

So the next question is have ralliart in preping the cars taken the restrictor out .. if so then the power should be up slightly ....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the answer for peops who do not subscribe to the EVO one list from Andy :

It's very simple, it's free and it's reversible (if you will not lost orifice). It's safe becouse ECU still has control over knock conditions and can reduce boost. However in some conditions you can
hit fuel-cut when accelerating on high gears with WOT. My call is to give it a try, test on Police-free area. If you get fuel-cuts, then undo.

How to do it? Here is little hint (written by Eric Typpo) from Talon-digest (list on Talon/Eclipse/Laser). There is difference in solenoid layout in Evo, but all principles are same. You can easily find out which nipple is on intake (wastegate one).

4. Another option to increase boost for free is to modify the boost solenoid. However, doing so eliminates your ability to go back to a factory configuration (if you will only take out plug in intake nipple, then mod is fully reversible - Andy), and there is some potential to break a $52 part, so proceed at your own risk. What you
are trying to accomplish is to allow the solenoid to bleed off more air from the wastegate than it does in stock form. Several modifications will allow this to occur. First, inside the intake nipple (the one facing the firewall - see diagram below) there is a plug with a small hole which reduces the inside diameter of the
nipple. This can be removed by hooking it out with a bent paper clip, or by getting a drill bit or small screw to bite into it, and pulling it out (I prefer to use Swiss Army Knife here; corkscrew tip to be exact - Andy). Next, the nipples can be drilled out to a slightly larger inside diameter. The diameters seem to vary somewhat, so bit sizes vary, but don't try to increase them too much.
Also, be careful that you do not drill too deeply. Mark the drill bit with tape so that you do not go into the solenoid body. Finally, replace the factory hoses with some 5/32 vacuum hose (omit this on first stage - Andy). This usually gives about 14-15 psi of boost with a completely factory appearance (he means Eclipse Turbo not Evo of course - Andy).

This method is also somewhat safer than the preceding methods because the ECU still has the ability to decrease boost if detonation occurs, unlike methods which remove the solenoid. However, keep in mind that the ECU may take some time before it decreases boost, so you can still damage your engine if you aren't careful.
| Intake nipple - to wastegate hose. Plug is inside this nipple.
|
-----------
| |_____ Exhaust nipple - to air cannister
| |
------------

Regards,

Andy

Scott Shipsey wrote:
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt; Thankyou very much for the info.
and amp;gt; Please excuse my ignorance, but what is it that you are calling the air cannister??

Airbox.

and amp;gt; Seriously though, I'm interested to hear how to do this so any further info would be appreciated.Bit concerned about the possible damage to the engine though.

Most of tweaks with boost level leads to possible damage. As well as driving car to nearest grocery http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

and amp;gt; Think that if I do decide to go for more, I'll consider an(expensive) alternative such as an electronic boost controller.

I use Apex-i AVC-R bouth in my Evo V and Eagle Talon TSi AWD (AWD turbo Eclipse, technically similar to Evo I/II/III).

and amp;gt; Have you done this modification to your car and if so has it been reliable??

I've this mod on my bouth Evo and Talon until I bought Apex-i AVC-R electronic boost controllers.

and amp;gt; I don't think that I got the details on how to perform this so that you can reverse the procedure.

You just put orifice back in place.

and amp;gt; The only info received from your good self was the one involving the drilling of the nipple.

Don't do that. Removing orifice is enought.

Regards,
Andy

and amp;gt; and amp;gt; Did they say how they up the boost?
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt;IMHO by removing orifice in BCS (Boost Controll Solenoid). This takes boost up to 1.2bar. At least this worked for Evo V.
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt;Andy
and amp;gt;

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the BOOST SOLENOID that small black plastic part next to the left strut with two hoses,one going to the air pipe and the other to the wastegate,with an electric connection on it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the BOOST SOLENOID that small black plastic part next to the left strut with two hoses,one going to the air pipe and the other to the wastegate,with an electric connection on it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had to have a look and for the record, my VI does not have the restrictor in the BSN pipe. My car is a grey although this makes no difference.

Regards Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Kevin!
I've heard that EVO VI that doesn't have the restrictor get 1.2 boost pressure and reach aproximately 320bhp!

I've tryied to take the restrictor off on my EVO V,but I didn't found
all that difference!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kevin,
I'm not sure if you know this or not from what you posted, but just to clarify, the restrictor is actually in the solenoid port and not in the hose leading from it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts