Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 'll ak this quesstion again, because i still can't fathom,where it is?
Does my E4 have one.?
can i put it back in if i get problems with overboost and such like.
Some say it works ,some are sceptical about even attempting to remove it.
But i guess it really fall on whether i have one?

cheers

paul s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers,I'll have a good look when it stops ####ing down with rain,probobly about october.
Can it be unscrewed,or does it get drillrd out, or is it just a plug?

cheers

Paul s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll find it in the end of the plastic joint which is clipped to the turret. It is basically only a very small grommet which you just slip a small self tapper in and pull out. I used too big a screw and just ended up making the hole bigger! If you like I can take a couple of digi pics of the bits and mail them to you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanxs for the info could you please mail the pics on how to remove the gromet i have just joined the forum today ,i have a EVO6 GSR with HKS seq blow off valve ,Blitz induction kit and de-cat pipe and HKS hyper muffler, i am just wondering what the performance gain is by removing it, my car is running at 1.1 bar at the moment.
many thnks for your help and advise in advance
Jacko
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my experience removing the grommet from my VI with HKS exhaust/suction kit resulted in a peak boost increase from 1.1 bar to 1.2 bar and an increased held boost of 1.1 bar up from 1.0. I have been very impressed with extra top end power this seems to give and the mid range punch.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jacko

Copied from the evo list at egroups :

Why did you remove the solenoid, just pull the pipe off with solenoid in
situ, small self tapper in the collet.
Out she comes on the end of the screw, so you don't drop it , back on with
the pipe. job done 5 mins..

Scutty
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 11:29 AM
Subject: RE: [evo] Collet

and amp;gt; and amp;gt;Finally found the boost solenoid and removed the collet last night, took
and amp;gt; and amp;gt;about 5 mins. The perceived increase in performance is marked.
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt; [TT] Is it the connector block under the swirl pot (black cylinder thingy
and amp;gt; near battery)?
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt; [TW] Yes. There are two rubber pipes going to the solenoid one from
and amp;gt; the air intake just behind the air flow sensor and one coming from a T
and amp;gt; connector by the Turbo. One of the pipes has a clip on it the other does
and amp;gt; not. The collet is in the arm of the solenoid which the pipe with the
spring
and amp;gt; connector on it goes to.
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt; The boost solenoid clips on to a mounting bracket. Disconnect the
electrics
and amp;gt; two wires clip connector. The solenoid itself slides back towards the bulk
and amp;gt; head to remove it. But first you need to put some pressure on the
retaining
and amp;gt; clip that holds it on the bracket. This clip is at the opposite side to
the
and amp;gt; bulkhead.
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt; Take the solenoid off and remove the collet in the kitchen or somewhere. I
and amp;gt; did it over the engine bay and when it popped out I lost it!
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt; Then just pop the pipes back on, reconnect the electrics, replace the
and amp;gt; solenoid and go for a test drive.
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt; Regards
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt; TW
and amp;gt;
and amp;gt; Hope that all makes sense.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried removing this. here is what happened:

With hks dump pipe, decat, hyper muffler and hks bov - noticable increase in midrange and some top end improvement. Occasional fuel cut (cool temperatures)

With above plus monster sport cold air box, filter and induction pipe and ralliart intercooler pipes - lots of power -evil, sizzles at top end, lots of fuel cut, blowing oil out rocker cover above 22psi boost pressure, turbo spinning like crazy. Still getting a bit of fuel cut!

Needs a new computer.

Collet replaced! Midrange not as strong but top end stronger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With regards to my previous post, the 'Still getting fuel cut' bit should have come at the end, ie after replacing collet/grommet!

andrew - www.evotrak.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Q: Solenoid is black plastic cylinder with CARB and amp; PURGE on top of it?

Q: Negative effects on standard car? What should one be aware of?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found it, removed it, let's see what happens.

Seems odd to me that if the car should have such a simple way to increase its performance, why is it not standard? Is this the Ralliart trick with the solenoid that was up against the P1?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanxs for the replys guys i will take a look later on this afternoon when i have some free time doest sound to hard of a job, will report back soon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
found it and removed it,so i did have one,have kept it in a safe place.
Taken for drive ,and found pick up was better,did get close to rev limit quicker through the gears,so will have to be a little carefull.
running millers proC in the fuel as well so ,very happy.
Will give it a few more burst on the way home from work.

cheers

Paul s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried this one and have just replaced the little plastic bugger.

My Evo 1 suffered from bad detonation and flat spots under heavy loads. Now I've put it back, the car runs smoother, doesn't det and even feels quicker..................

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since removing the gromet on saturday,i have given the car some serious road work including motorway.
My mid range has increased by a measureable quickness.
From third accelerating to speeds where we shouldn't realy go,its so smooth and quick.
pick up was great.
Only have dump valve and air induction kit fitted,perhaps when more mods are done then repacing it would be of an advantage.
But at the moment satisfied.

cheers Paul s

1 - 15 of 15 Posts