Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some problems with my boost pressure on my E1 - GSR

I Have just recently changed the stock turbo with a Precision SCM 6152E turbo /w the 35mm internal wastegate actuator.

A couple of weeks ago we where going to tune in the A'pexi S-AFC2. First pull the boost went up to 22psi (1.5bar), this was a bit to high so we was going to decrease the boost to about 17.5psi (1.2bar) but after the first pull we couldn't get the boost to get over 13psi (0.9bar) No matter how we turned on the BC (Hallmann Professional BC).

We changed the tension/preload(?) on the wastegate actuator "arm" but nothing happened. Couldn't go over 13psi.

But at this time I heard a strange noise so I suspected I had a boost leak.
I Yes I had. It was fairly big boost leaks so after i fixed it it was completly close. No boost leaks at all up to 30-35psi. ( Tested from before the turbo and with the engine as "stopper". So all piping, the intake manifold and so on was tested.

I was certain this was the problem but no, it was the same thing after. Couldn't get the boost to raise over 13psi.

I loosened the vacum hose from the wg to see if the boost would run away. But no. nothing happened 13psi like before.

I pressure tested the wastegate actuator and I couldn't hear any leaking sound. And the arm went in and out as it is supposed to do.

Then I found another thing that I tought caused the problem. The little wastegate"lid" inside the turbine wheel housing got stuck in the downpipe so it was completly opend. I hade to remove the (3") downpipe and file/polish it so the lid wouldn't get stuck.

At the same time a looked on both wheels inside the turbo and couldn't find any damages. I also checked the bearings and it felt perfect.

After this I removed the arm from the wastegate lid and took a wire to make sure the lid wouldn't open. This way the boost should run away. But I'm not sure i could get it completly closed, cause the boost just came up to 7-8psi. I think the wire was to weak.

however, I know one thing. The wastegate actuator was slightly damaged in the shipping (se pic) so I'm going to replace it, but I have a feeling this wont help. Cause there was no leak from the wastegate

So I don't really know what to do, feels like I have done everything now.

Please help me!

Here is a thread where You can find a complete list of modifications I you need to know.
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46245

I hope U can understand my english. There is some word I don't know the right english name on, ut I have explained as good as a can. Please ask if there is any questions.

Thanks

Daniel

·
Registered
809 Posts
Do you think the turbo has become damaged in some way?

Perhaps the exhaust gas is leaking around the turbine blades? Are each of the fins in tact?

I can't think why this would be happening. :confused:
You have forced the wastegate shut and still it will not boost right up?

Is the bearing partly seized perhaps?

Never heard of a problem like this before!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't think the turbo is damaged. I really hope not.

I looked at the blades/fins and couldn't se anything wrong.

When I forced It to shut, it might have been opened a bit though, don't think the wire was such a good idéa. But it could not have been that much opened.

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean with "partly seized"

Frosty said:
Do you think the turbo has become damaged in some way?

Perhaps the exhaust gas is leaking around the turbine blades? Are each of the fins in tact?

I can't think why this would be happening. :confused:
You have forced the wastegate shut and still it will not boost right up?

Is the bearing partly seized perhaps?

Never heard of a problem like this before!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
DanneH said:
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean with "partly seized"
Seized = "not able to move"
Partly = "a bit"

What I mean is that the bearing might not be alowing the turbine shaft to spin as fast as it should do. It's unlikely though!

Another thought: Could there be a leak somewhere in the pipes leading to the intercooler, or from intercooler to inlet manifold? Obviously this leak would only show up under pressure (boost).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I see what you mean. But i don't think it is any problems with the bearings.
But how can you tell? Is there any way to measure?

There was a leaks on the pipes between turbo and IC, and some minor leaks on the pipes after the IC, but I have sealed it so now it's pressure tested up to 30-35psi without any leaks. Inlet manifold is tested aswell

Frosty said:
Seized = "not able to move"
Partly = "a bit"

What I mean is that the bearing might not be alowing the turbine shaft to spin as fast as it should do. It's unlikely though!

Another thought: Could there be a leak somewhere in the pipes leading to the intercooler, or from intercooler to inlet manifold? Obviously this leak would only show up under pressure (boost).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xlr8 said:
have a look at the boost solenoid etc that's underneath the battery tray, for malfunction
Ok. The boost solenoid is pluged. Just 2 pieces of vacum hose with a screw in each hose . I've been told it's ok to do so.

Is this the wrong way to do it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
skeletor said:
Is there a restrictor in the boost control solenoid?

I know there is on the EVO 4/5/6.

Skeletor
Hmm I'm not really sure. But I don't think so. I Have run with 20-22psi with stock turbo last year.

But now the solenoid is not in use, just pluged.

WG --- BC ---- Intake manifold is the way I have connected it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts