Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have sorted out breathing of my car. and have arp bolts. already have hks evc boost controller and am buying apexi s-afc. with those mods alone (on my V), what sort of boost should i aim for (am currently running 1.1bar). if i get an uprated fuel pump, what sort of boost would then be possible (safely)?
would appreciate any advice,
cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You would be able to run 1.4 bar safely with your setup no probs!:)
with the uprated fuel pump you could run 1.5, but not sure on 5 internals, I know some 6's running 1.5 on std internals, but I believe
that they have stronger internals, don't quote me though.
At 1.4 bar you will notice a considerable difference in performance, compared to 1.1, so I'd be inclined to run 1.4 for now, and maybe after some research you could go higher with different mods. Most Evo's I know running 1.4 bar, are producing between 340-360 bhp, definately enough power to play with for the Mo, trust me I know:D:)
Hope this has been of some help.

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SuperEvo4

Thanks a lot for the advice, much appreciated. i am still new to this evo game! interesting that you think i would be able to get 1.4bar without a fuel pump. the only reason i say that is that 1.4bar is stage 2 tuning at R and amp;S developments, and they recommend an uprated fuel pump as well as the other mods.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really depends on the car itself.During the RR day at PE on the 19th April 2002 (see results on lancer chat section)
The cars that were running sports ecu were actually running too lean at 1.4 bar, but mine at 1.4bar was not, funny enough though that my
car is still running a std E4 ecu, which is supposed to be slower than the 5/6 ecu??
Seeing as you already have a boost controller, I suggest that you set it to different settings trying 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 gradually, this way you will be able to see if your car will run each boost without fuel cutting.
Best way to check if it will fuel cut is to accelerate in 4th or 5th gear from 2500rpm, if it cuts at 1.4 then turn down to 1.3 and try again.
1.3 on std ecu no probs, 1.4 you may get fuel cut depending on weather conditions.
This way you may as well save yourself on money with the apexi s-afc and wait later on to get a sports or programable ecu.
Might not have explained it too well, if any probs email me with your number, and i'll explain it, much easier.

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
doesn't the s-afc prevent fuel cuts? i thought that was one of the main reasons to get it, along with improving fuel economy on the motorway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coolmeister,
If you are going to use the S-AFC to get around the fuel cuts then you need to have some method of getting extra fuel into the engine.

This is because with the S-AFC you will 'fool' the ECU into thinking that there is less air going into the engine than there really is (This is what avoids the fuel cut). However, because the ECU 'sees' less air then it will provide less fuel. As a result you get more air and less fuel and you can run very dangerously lean and potentially pop your engine.

As a result, what you need to do is to provide a way of getting more fuel into the engine for the specific injector duty cycle that the ECU sets. The main method that people use to get around this is to increase the base fuel pressure by fitting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and uprated fuel pump. You can then turn up the fuel pressure higher than standard and this means that for a specific duty cycle, you will squirt in more fuel than at the standard base pressure.

After doing this though, ideally you still need to set up the AFC and boost controller using a wide band lambda sensor and monitoring for detonation. You can then fine tune the regulator setting and AFC to make sure that you are providing the correct amount of fuel for your increased boost.

Doing it this way means that the next limiting factor to the boost level will be your engine internals. I know that Just Custard on here has apparently been running 1.5 bar on standard internals for approx 2 years with no problems which would indicate this is possible but other people have (I believe) had engines go pop running less than this with standard internals. Ralliart UK (as they were) recommended not running more than 1.3/1.4 bar without changing conrods I think.

Hope this helps

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coolmeister.

Could you please Email me the setting instructions for your HKS evc as i have one but lost the instructions
to fit it into my EVO 2
Any help would be appreciated
My email address is [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy

Wow, thanks for all the info! bit over my head but it will definitely help develop my understanding. does that mean that without the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump i will not be able to run 1.4bar? approx how much will the extra bits cost? why cant things ever be straightforward?!!

akiwi

Sorry, i dont have the evc instructions on my computer, and the ones that i do have are faxed and so i doubt would photocopy legibly. someone else must have them though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool,
I've just noticed that you're based in Manchester.
Get yourself along to the meet in Knutsford on Sunday and we can chat about it. It's a lot easier to go through it all face to face. Check out the Regional Meets section for the details. If you can't make it then let me know and I can post some more details for you.

Cheers

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cant make it unfortunately, got exams coming up! shouldnt really keep looking at this message board, but procrastination is my middle name!! i am picking up the downpipe and s-afc tonight, stretching my budget a bit, so would love to get to 1.4bar with minimum expense. any advice appreciated.
cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neil,
Cheapest way to do it then would be to sort out an uprated fuel pump and adjustable pressure regulator.
You can then use this, in conjuction with your boost controller to run at 1.4 bar.
The easiest way to set this up would be to take it to RC Developments who have experience of using the Apex'i AFC in conjunction with the pump and regulator in this way.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds like the way forward andy. i dont suppose you have a ball park figure for cost of a fuel pump and regulator (fitted!)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.