Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this is a simple question from a new Evo VI owner, who is also new to owning a turbo car.

The car I picked up two weeks ago has a Apexi Boost gauge and HKS dump valve fitted, no other mods.

The gauge when I am driving shows the needle below the zero and when I get higher up the rev range it tracks up to zero. Is this right? I would have thought if the car is supposed to boost to 1 bar (whatever that means) standard then surely the gauge should read from zero to 1.0! Probably installed incorrectly, but the dealer I bought the car from assures me that 1 bar is from the minus position to zero?

The car is tops and I will hopefully be able to attend some of the events etc you folk have arranged.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The boost gauage is set just 1 bar below zero. When you increase throttle the gauge will increase 1 bar to zero.
This is quite normal. When I fitted my Boost gauge there is an adjustment on the back of the gauge which i was instructed to set to 1 bar below zero at 800rpm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When not on throttle, the boost gauge should read less than zero (probably about -400 mmHg or something like that). A bit of throttle should take the needle to 0 and on full throttle with high revs, max boost or about 1 bar. btw 1 atmosphere |EQU| 1.013 bar |EQU| 14.7 lb/sq.in |EQU| 760 mmHg.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, if I understand correctly it would sound like the gauge I have is set up fine. When the engine is on tickover the needle will drop to a minus reading and on use of the throttle the reading will rise through to the zero.

Sorry to bother you further, but if an induction (filter?) and exhaust (with or without CAT? not sure what the difference would be) is installed is it then advisable to run SUL with an octane booster or can you stick SUL?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something is wrong with your car or the gauge if it tops out at zero. It should top out at about 1 bar or so (it will vary from car to car and if you have a boost controller or not). It sounds like the gauge is connected to a line that only reads vacuum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As the gauge was fitted when I bought the car, can anyone let me know what I should be looking for under the bonnet.

If as you suggest Wreckleford, the gauge is only reading vacuum, is this easy to fix.

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with the car and it is only a faulty installation of the gauge. The car certainly has kept me smiling when driving it so I don't think there is a noticeable fault on performance.

Not so much fun filling the thing up with SUL though!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me ask some questions to try and get a better picture:

At what rpm does your gauge reach zero?
When it reaches zero do you feel any tapering off of acceleration or does the car still continue to acceleratre strongly after the gauge reads zero?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts