Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright lads and lasses hows the cars? a tiny problem with mine though i have a boost gauge hwich was on car when imported but whilst giving teh car a good hammering i was looking at it and it hit 1.3 bar and dropped back and held 1 bar. does anyone know how accurate these are and is this normal for an evo?
cheers in advance
GARY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes my E3 has this also....and boost gauge does peak and then drops a little until it maintains boost at a slightly lower pressure...

Keen to hear of any reason for this...Is this a loss of pressure from the BOV (i hear weak springs can do this), or is it a wastegate issue?? Maybe even it is normal...

Cheers
Troy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you are seeing is known as overboost. This is perfectly normal (and in fact if you are not overboosting then this can possibly be an indication of a problem with your turbo) This will happen when you floor the throttle and accelerate hard. Basically you overboost because the electronics in the engine take a little time in keeping up with the very high changes in 'settings' that the engine goes through when accelerating hard. The important thing to look for is that you finally settle down to a (reasonalbly) steady value.

The standard Evo6 engine will run at approx 0.8 - 0.9 bar (this is just luck depending on your engine and the tollerencs that it is made to).
Another point to remember is that you will always have more power when it is cold as the air is denser, and I feel that it is safe to say that it is cold at the moment. During hot temperatures you may notice a drop of 0.1 - 0.2 bar in your boost. This is why it is essential that if you start to tune your engine that you do it during cold spells so that you are aware of the max boost and overboost levels that you will run your engine at.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one, seems to make sense.
I will just have to spend most of the time driving hard in cold weather then....Either that or attach a block of ice to the front of the I/Cooler

1 - 4 of 4 Posts