Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am expriencing some boost cut for the first time. The car is boosting at 1.4 at the moment but sometimes it get cut at 1.1 and the cut can be quite violent and make the car pull back and let go again. Very strange!!!

The car went to RC for its servicing and Clive was the one that inform me of the problem. He said that the solution is to get a boost controller to lower the boost to 1.2 or even better get a Power FC to cure this problem.

Any second opinion to my problem and solutions?

thanks

lawrence

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you have got fuel cuts,as the standarde ecu is programmed to do that over a certain boost level,about 1.35bars.

Now why are you reaching 1.4bars,as the standard boost should be 0.9?
The boost is higher if you have fitted a special exhaust or air filter,or the wastegate actuator can be rusted,I had to change mine for that,and the boost can easely reach 1.5bars.

My opinion is to get something to monitor the boost as a gauge or the blitz dual turbo timer.Then you will have to check if your wastegate actuator is ok,and if it's ok you can modify the boost level playing with the metal restrictor that is on one of the hoses near the wastegate actuator.The smaller the hole in the restrictor the higher is the boost,but be careful,a very little difference in diameter will make a big one in the boost pressure.

It's even better if you fit a boost controller to set the level of boost you want,but you don't have to do it to solve the problem,and check your wastegate actuator before doing anything else as even if you will not have anymore fuel cuts with for example a special ecu,that doesn't mean that your problem is solved as if the boost level goes even higher it can be dangerous for your engine!

You have also two different ways of electronic upgrades.
The one used by RC DEVELOPMENTS,fittin boost controllers,fuel controllers,injection controllers etc. but keeping the standard ecu,or you can just set up the boost with the different restrictors and a gauge or a boost controller,and then fit a complete new ecu that will allow you to turn up the boost and will change the mapping.

You can for example get a ralliart sports ecu from irs in japan at 550£ and it will allow you to turn the boost up and will give you about 350bhp if fitted with a complete exhaust system and air filter.

You can also get a motec m48 or another gr.n ecu that is completely remappable for your spec by a pro with a pc,and can include launch control and bang bang,but it will cost more than 1500£.

There are many topics about fuel cuts you should use the search engine!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As maxi says it could well be your wastegate actuator. Don,t tolerate the cuts,
they put a lot of strain on the con-rod bolts. The actuator costs about £175,
thats better than £8k for a new engine.
Fit a boost gauge as standard anyway, apart from being a cool accessory, it is a good diagnostic tool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. will work on the problem right away. (funny enough that the problem only started on my last track day). Never happened before.

thanks anyway.

lawrence

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Components have a finite life , they have to fail sometime , trackdays stress the engine far more than road driving so thats when parts are likely to fail.

A top Porsche racing guy once said 1 racing mile is like 1000 road miles !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was experiencing the same thing on the Evo 6 and all i did was to use a different gas.
Before i used 100 octane (real costly...) and switched to 92 octane |PLS| octane booster and the car started hesitating a lot on acceleration... switched back to 100 octane and needed at least 2 tanks for the ECU to reset the turbo boost. Now it's working fine again.

If i switch back to 92 octane |PLS| octane booster, does it need a few tanks to get the engine to reset ?

Thanks

- ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts