Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 51 plate 320d se touring with 150,000 miles on the clock. I have had the car for a year and use it daily to/from work and its been the best car buy we have ever done.

Went in for an inspection service on friday, local independant dealer where I bought the car and who have a wealth of experience with BMs and Audis. Service was fine (150,000 miles) but they reported a turbo whine which requires attention. Then I got a series of horror stories of how the turbo whine needs to be looked at quickly as the turbo blades can disintegrate and cause major engine damage if not rectified soon. Price for a new turbo is c £500 plus 3 hours labour, more if the unit cannot be removed easily.

I drove the car home and to be honest I couldn't hear a thing. The car sounded as silent as it has ever been, no power loss or anything untoward.

The BM is a daily driver and my main cars have been Subarus and Evos. Turbo failing I thought were fairly obvious with power loss and black smoke, but I never heard of them causing major engine damage. And how obvious is turbo whine. Or is this just a rouse to get some extra work. As far as know, my BM has not had a new turbo. It was one owner from new with a full history, but a company car so I do not have the detailed records, just tick sheets and service stamps.

I would add, its a very reputable local dealer who I have known for years and is a good friend, so i would be very surprised if there is anything untowards. But i honestly can't hear a thing wrong and i have no wish to fork out £750 is there is life left in the turbo. Is there a way that it can be checked for obvious wear without committing to full replacement?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
they should have checked the turbo out for end play if they suspected it to be faulty. if it was that badly worn the inside of the housing will be scored where the turbine has been rubbing.thats when the blades can break off and be sucked into the engine.usually the oil seals go first if there is too much end play in the shaft causing blue smoke when the turbo is spooling.they should have checked it properly before telling you it was knackered.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The turbo on these are known to be quite week, my mates a mech with bmw and has told me of loads of probs with this model. :smthumbdo

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
a lad in the office has just had his fail, with the new cat and other bits and pieces think it was about £1200.

make sure they change a sensor when it fails otherwise it will go very soon again, can not remember what the sensor is though.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Engine beather on the camcover are a known cause of turbo failure on these. They must be changed at the proper intervals. They have been upgraded too, and now have no felt, just plastic parts in them.

·
Registered
547 Posts
as above the breather is a problem which bm have replaced. even if this isnt your problem, it's best to sort it as it's bout £35 notes. if it blocks you will get lots of smoke and people telling you your turbo's gone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts