Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just bought a Lancer Evo 6 gsr,its a T reg, and done only 3000 miles! When goin down the road the other day, i had a freind behind me in his car.. He said, as i was pulling away, i.e the Turbo kicked in, some blueish grey smoke come outa the exhast. Just wondering if this is normal?

Also, after a hard run whats the best time to leave the engine idling for?

Thanks for any advice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The smoke is normal because the engine is set up a little rich in fuel to avoid damage. Leave it idling out for at least 60 seconds, if you've pushed it hard at least 90. Wont use up too much fuel...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Djack..........Quite a few EVOs seem to do this if you watch them at trackdays when changing gear at high rpm..

Claudius.....I think the colour of rich fuel would be black rather than blue/grey wouldn't it?

Somebody told me that as you lift off oil vapour can be sucked through the breather on the rocker cover into the air intake system. As you reapply the throttle what you get is this oil vapour burning as it passed through the turbo (which can run at 1000 degrees C plus) and hence the blue/grey puff. It is unlikely to be blowing past the turbo oil seals at 3000 miles.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Driving the car gently (i.e. off boost) for the last 2 or 3 miles before stopping is the quickest and best way of reducing the oil and exhaust gas temperatures to acceptable levels. Not only will a gently run cool the engine but also the brakes. If you cannot do that then idling for 2-3 minutes will suffice. Idling the engine for long periods actually can increase the temperatures and is worst than driving the car gently before stopping.

Turbo Timers are a complete waste of money, they are illegal here in the UK and actually are likely to invalidate any insurance should you have an operating turbo timer fitted. They also offer an easy route for hot wiring the car.
The best turbo timer is the driver, you are the best judge of how hard the car was driven and how long the cooling off period should be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, I thought it was normal for a turbo to blow a little smoke at least.. I am sending it into a Mitsu dealer next weak for a check over anyways, as i am new to this car.. These cars are amazing, i dont wont to blow it up or nothin!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once again sage words of wisdom from HH. http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

A good friend had a timer fail on. The poor lad had to drive to a shop where someone could disconnect the thing for him. He just could not turn off his car. Most embarrassing. [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

It also makes sense to drive "reasonably" near the places you park your car. Makes for less upset neighbours and co-workers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can only support HH6 opinion about cooling down the car. I always try to drive my car like a granny the last 3-5km before I stop it. It's not only because of the turbo but also equally important for your brakes to give them an adequate time to cool down. Of course I let the car idle aswell. The fun with your car will last much longer when you follow this.

Enjoy your new machine

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Further little tip for pre-shut off cool down (on air con cars anyway) is turn on the aircon for a minute or so as the fan blows thru the engine bay directly in front of the turbo. I tend to use this method in hot weather aswell as a few miles of moderate driving before stopping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts