Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to be one thing after another with one of these cars! I just had 2 new belts fitted last week (alt and p/steering) as I thought they looked a bit tired , and as it was going in for oil/fliter/plugs ect i just got them done too. I was driving the car yesterday when i heard a 'crackling' noise from the front , almost like id run over some gravel or something , so i stopped and had a look at the car , but could see nothing wrong. When pulling away though , it became apparent that the belts were loose as it was giving it the old 'power steering belt scream'....loud as **** , and very annoying! I thought that maybe the belts were just loose but had a look this morning , only to find a foot and a half strip of alternator belt had been chewed off and spat out by the bloody car , and was lying on top of the engine! The belt is still in situ , but looks very ropey indeed (and a good bit of it is roughly 3 or 4 mil thinner) Do you reckon I could get the garage to put another one on for nowt , or will I be putting my hand in my pocket yet again? I still have the bit of belt i found as 'evidence'. Also is it safe to drive in this condition?? :mad: :cry:

If this car fecks about with me much more its off to the nearest dealer as a trade in on something with a ******* waranty.....

·
Registered
46,409 Posts
Dmac1969 said:
It seems to be one thing after another with one of these cars! I just had 2 new belts fitted last week (alt and p/steering) as I thought they looked a bit tired , and as it was going in for oil/fliter/plugs ect i just got them done too. I was driving the car yesterday when i heard a 'crackling' noise from the front , almost like id run over some gravel or something , so i stopped and had a look at the car , but could see nothing wrong. When pulling away though , it became apparent that the belts were loose as it was giving it the old 'power steering belt scream'....loud as **** , and very annoying! I thought that maybe the belts were just loose but had a look this morning , only to find a foot and a half strip of alternator belt had been chewed off and spat out by the bloody car , and was lying on top of the engine! The belt is still in situ , but looks very ropey indeed (and a good bit of it is roughly 3 or 4 mil thinner) Do you reckon I could get the garage to put another one on for nowt , or will I be putting my hand in my pocket yet again? I still have the bit of belt i found as 'evidence'. Also is it safe to drive in this condition?? :mad: :cry:

If this car fecks about with me much more its off to the nearest dealer as a trade in on something with a ******* waranty.....
mate im so sorry to hear that bud

if u can get the aa home start and parts and labour membership about 220 i think a yr

to avoid any problems in the near future

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Dunc
take it back....should be ok to drive to the garage
but you don't really want to do any distance in case the belt snaps completely
...may have been over-tensioned & .....have they used the correct belt(s) ?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mo..ta for the tip , right at this moment Id let someone have the car for £200 , let alone pay that for AA membership! ;)

Xlr8
I will be taking it back don't worry , just as well I haven't paid their bill yet! ;) I did use proper Misti belts though , I thought I'd treat her to some 'proper bits'...and she repays me like this...bitch! :crackup: ;)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can pick it up from the bottom of the cliffs at Scremerston , near Berwick where it will end up after being mysteriously 'stolen' very soon........(only joking Insbro ;) )...or am I! ;) :p

·
Registered
77 Posts
cliffs.

i'll up my offer then,

why dont you drive it up here, will refund the petrol costs of course, i will point you in the direction of some nice cliffs for you to 'drive' it off,

you can collect your £700,
plus have your choice from anything in my fridge, " last can of tennents yellow finest not included "

and i will put you on the bus first thing in the morning.

now thats a deal :p

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
What a pain :mad:

When I last took my car in for a service, it came back with the £3.5k stereo busted plus another bill for £600 :mad: :mad: :mad:

So, I went and had a test drive of one of these:

It has a chasis made of paper mashey, several bits of trim fell off/broke, it had the worst flappy paddle gearchange I've had the misfortune to use etc, etc...

Who needs 3 years warranty and 20k service intervals at £100, 40mpg and group 6 insurance anyway :confused: :crackup:

When the EVO's having fun on a back road or track, all is forgiven :D :coolsm:

Just think of the good times (and give your garage a good kickin') :D

Cheers :)

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car buddy. Sounds like a right pain in the arse bitch you've got!! May seem like a silly question but the belts that were fitted were for the Evo2 werent they? I know someone who sent an Evo1 into a mitsi up country for a major service and they fitted Evo7 belts to it and suffered similar problems as apparently (or obviously!) they are different!!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought the belts would all be the same? It's still a 4G63 engine , whatever the year??? Or maybe they are different! Anyways , I gave them my chassis no when I ordered them so they should have been the correct belts.

Admiral
I may be ****ed off , but not that ****ed off , no C3 of any description for me , maybe a C2 VTS or C4 3 door tho! ;) More likey a Corsa sxi , Colt 1.3 Mirage or Fiesta Zetec (or even more likely , just get the Lancer fixed , take it for a blast and all is well with the world again! :)

Cheers

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update....The bottom crankshaft pulley is fooked , thats why it chewed the belt up , they want £121 plus vat and fitting for it and thats why theres a 4 door white 1.6 T reg Carisma sitting in my garage (and the battery light is on all the time in that!) I've been advised not to drive it in case it starts to chew up the cambelt.

I don't know what to do as I can get a brand new 1.3 Mirage Colt 3 door for £106 a month if I trade my Lancer in , and the garage will sort the pulley out on it themselves before they put it up for sale.... :confused:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I feel for you mate i really do. You seem to have had some bad luck with this car :( If its any help i think xlr8 has a second had bottom pulley in good condition if you need to save money and also it is a piece of pish to fit it yourself. Contact 'thetyrant' and he can give you a full talk through of how its done. I followed his instructions and they were spot on and finished in just under two hours.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers Ben , unfortunately the garage have already ordered the pulley and it will be here 2morrow. They will be doing it tomorrow sometime I guess. Bad luck yeah , Im going through the early evo faults one by one , ive had cracked bulkhead near clutch pedal , stepper motor , fast idle valve and now crank pulley. I only need heater matrix and a rusty roof for the full set.... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts