Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the recent hard winter months my back concerte yard has all chipped up and broken up,
Not bad but bad enough,so going to go down the block paving route now
my question is who has done this and is it a fairly easy job to a competent DIY'r
Any tips?
how much would an area of 20ft by 15 ft be roughly?
Chris

·
acting daft since 1969
19,608 Posts
its quite easy really ,all the hard work is in the base ,if thats poor the finished artical will be also

if the base has been layed for concerte than its should be OK for block ,just make sure your sand is as compacted as hard as poss and level

laying the blocks is the easy bit ,but WEAR gloves it will wear you fingers out in no time

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
Yep. Easy for the competent diy'er. Did my first ever block paved driveway, 50sq metres, Tegula DriveSett, got quotes which were silly. Over £3k. I did it all myself for £1800. Compact the base really well. Use hardcore etc. 10"+ if it's a heavy traffic area. Then Sharp sand, fully compacted on top to give smooth surface to lie the blocks on. Start laying blocks at one end and just work from one point. Leave all the cuts until the end. That's the b&ll aching part of it all. Use a block splitter or circular stone saw for speed.
Once all laid, use Kiln Dried sand between the blocks to stabilise them, Compact again with your, by now well used whacker plate, and then re-sand. Complete the job by going over the sand with a liquid sealant to prevent sand loss. Turned out ok but vowed never to do another one.

then did my brothers recently, !!!! pictured below :-
unfortunately he hadn't cleared the area when I arrived to start!

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
evo6lee, just out of interest, can you tell me what depths of harcore, sand etc you would use for a regular use driveway?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts