Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to replace/drain brake fluid and bleed brakes after fitting new calipers and discs,any help would be appreciated.

paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1 - Buy one of the brake bleeders from Halfords/motor factors and although it says you can do it alone (ooh-err!) you're still best with 2 peeps.

2 - Follow the instructions on the pack, it's a piece of pi5s!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep its easy. I found it best with the dual non-return valve type kit which was about £6 from Halfords (my old one was a bit leaky so I splashed out on a new one http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >). That way you can bleed both sides of the caliper at once. If you have a kit that only fits one nipple at a time then bleed the outside clyinder first before doing the inner one. Start from the caliper furthest from the master clyinder (Left Rear) and work you way round to the caliper nearest to the master clyinder (Right Front). Remember to pump enough to remove all the old fluid from the pipes. 1 litre of fluid is enough for a change with a little bit left over for top ups.
There is a lot of air in the system if you have fitted the Goodridge hoses so its worth making extra sure that all the air is gone. I thought the pedal was a bit soft initially but after a re-bleed its as firm as a firm thing thats extremely firm [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

(Ezibleed don't supply the correct sized cap so don't even buy one [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank for advice guys,what i failed to say was that the calipers are on with no hoses and no pads in and fluid drained out of resevoir will put pads in and hoses and re connect them,and then presumably top up resevoir (how much?]and then bleed from farest point,via the nipple on caliper{ap} using bleeding kit.Bloodyhell sounds like i know my stuff,quite good with nips though.

paul
;o

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the bunny, just connect it all up and get the missus to pump away like buggery until your nipples run clear with no bubbles.

Hope that's sorted everything out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't forget to keep an eye on the reservoir - let it go empty and you'll have to start again!
Also put plenty of rag around the reservoir - brake fluid (except silicone) is better than Nitromors!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a word of warning, be carfull not to be to quick or violent with the brake pedal while bleeding I have on a number occasion seen the master cylinder seals to roll over giving no fluid displacement and no pedal.
Alot of people when they are building a system up from dry fill up the res. attach pipes and containers to all four wheels and just open the bleed nipples and allow gravity to do its stuff.

Cheers Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts