Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have some groaning (?) noise coming from the hydraulic unit of my evo5, and am suspecting that there is air in the system. I have downloaded a pdf document (from the yahoo groups site, I believe) that gives all sorts of trouble shooting and maintenance info for the AYC. My problem is in the bleeding section, step 1 is to connect a MUT-II diagnosis tool and activate the air bleeding mode. I'm in the US, so I doubt anyone here has this MUT-II thing, and if they did they'd still be confused what my car is and how it got here. So I'd prefer to do my own maintenance. Seems like I've read someone saying you can manually bleed the system, although it is a pain in the arse. Can anyone shed some light, on what you need to do to bleed the system without the MUT-II? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Robert

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
If you put the car on a ramp with the wheels free to turn and run the engine with the car in 5th gear, I think you need to be over 10MPH, I might be wrong on that figure, and turn the steering wheel full to the left, the hydraulic pump should run and the directional control valve will direct the fluid to one clutch pack of the lsd and you can bleed this side through the bleed nipple and then turn the steering full to the right and bleed the other side.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
this is a bloody good question and is something I've been giving some consideration to.

Having just got the workshop manual set its interesting to note that the E6 manual procedure states that you use the MUT11, the E4 and amp;5 manual gives a procedure similar to Clive's. My guess is that you don't really need the MUT11 but its easier with it.

Can you buy a MUT11? Given the level of diagnostics that this could pick up from the various ecu's it might be worth thinking about.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
To bleed my AYC I disconnected the AYC block connector under the rear seat and using a 12 volt Gel Cell powered up the pump proportioning valve and the left or right solenoid. With a couple of switches I could lie under the car and cycle the AYC hardware while bleeding the system. The pump takes 20 amps so thick wire is required for the pump the soleoids only take a couple of amps

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need to bleed the system if you are just changing the AYC fluid, only if you have drained or are changing the hydraulic actuation fluid which is in the container in the boot, which is ATF fluid. If there is air in this system it just means the hydraulic pump will have to work harder and will wear out quicker, it will not damage the AYC Diff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts