Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since installing Windows 2000 my PC has started being a complete PITA. Every time I connect to the internet (broadband) I get a blue-screen error with something like the following at the top:

***STOP 00008 000008 0000008
(some other stuff here that I can't remember)
Dumping physical memory.
Memory dump complete. Please contact your administrator or technical support department

What's most frustrating is that it seems to occur after a completely random period of time after I connect. Sometimes it's straight away, sometimes it'll wait for a minute or so, occasionally it'll be ok for up to 15 minutes before it does it, but it always happens. I've checked for viruses, spyware etc using Spybot and 3 up-to-date antivirus programs (Norton, Trend and McAffee) but none of them have shown my PC to be infected with anything.

I've also got hold of a specific program to check for background tasks that cuase runaway resource leaks and other problems, but its found nothing.

Can anybody help? This is seriously getting on my tits. The only time I can get on the MLR is at work, where I run the constant risk of getting busted.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i remember a while back having a similar problem....it was after installing a new graphics card that it would occur. Disabling the device and then re-installing it again with more up to date drivers, or maybe it was some update I downloaded from windows update, helped solved the problem. So maybe you have added a new device recently which is causing the problem.

Could be your hdd, if it has bad sectors then that could cause the problem. Or your memory could be screwed, if you have two sticks try taking one out and seeing if it still happens, if it does try taking that out and checking the other. If you only have one try swapping it with one from another comp. Try checking the memory first though because thats the easiest one to diagnose.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The exact error is:

*** STOP: 0x000000B8 <0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000>
A wait operation, attach process, or yield was attempted from a DPC routine.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or
technical support group

·
Registered
439 Posts
Have you installed the various Win2K service packs?

How do you connect to your broadband, through a USB modem or via a network router?

Do you have the correct drivers for your connection method?

Ensure that all your drivers (graphics, network, etc) are correct and without conflicts.

This is a wierd error as it seems to occur on clustered Win2K machines. This link may help though,

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3BQ318988

Another link that may shed some light,

http://labmice.techtarget.com/troubleshooting/errorcodes.htm

HTH

Edited to say CossieBhoy beat me to it! Damn!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mercodus said:
Have you installed the various Win2K service packs?

How do you connect to your broadband, through a USB modem or via a network router?
Through a USB modem, and it's defnitely installed properly. The only conflict on my entire PC is with my dial-up modem that I never use. For some reason the PC can't recognise what it is and I don't have the drivers for it. Could this cause the problem I'm having?

BTW I've tried those links before and no joy as the registry entries it says to change aren't even on my PC! I tried adding them but that didn't help either.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It wont hurt to remove, physically or logically, the modem but I don't think it will make any difference.

Did you have any odd problems prior to install Win2K and what was the old OS?
Are you using Win2K professional or server?

I have done a bit of rummaging around the web looking for a non-win2k-clustering resolution and found a thread on a forum where someone has the same problem (the website seems to be slow responding),

http://www.webservertalk.com/post2206400.html

Another (more in depth, I think),
http://annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/1104897855

I also read that it may be memory timings (I'm not convinced but it could be worth a look).

And finally, this link has a couple of people with the problem, it's a big thread so get a coffee first ;)
http://forums.furthurnet.org/viewtopic.php?t=757

Also found this, don't know if you have a Zip drive though,

STOP Errors

Error Message: "STOP: 0x000000B8 (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,
0x00000000) ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC address 0xf729a248 in XX."

Translation: When you access an Iomega Zip drive that's connected to your computer's parallel port, you may see this STOP error message (an unexpected system error that Windows is unable to recover from; also known as a fatal system error). Two of the files the Zip drive uses, Ppa.sys and Ppa3.sys (represented by XX in the error message), have problems that sometimes interfere with other Win2000 processes.

Solution: The Win2000 SP4 (Service Pack 4) corrects this problem. You can download SP4 via the Windows Update service

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the help so far guys.

As a precaution I've downloaded and installed the drivers for my 56k modem (it's a Net Lynx internal modem by the way) and so far I've been on the net for all of 5 minutes, which is a good sign but I don't want to tempt fate just yet so I'm not pinning my hopes on it.

I don't have a zip drive and my last OS was Windows 98. I upgraded to 2000 Professional. The only think that didn't go to plan was that it failed to do a clean install even though I told it to. Instead it installed over the top of 98, so I don't know if this could cause me any problems. If nothing else seems to work I'm going to have to format my C drive and then install 2000 again, but I'll check out the links you posted first to see if they shed any light on it.

Edited to say: I've already downloaded all service packs too, but that didn't help either.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Leon VI said:
The only think that didn't go to plan was that it failed to do a clean install even though I told it to. Instead it installed over the top of 98
This may very well be the source of the problem. If there are bits of Win98 being run on the system, it will be very unhappy. Personally, I would wipe the partion(s) (with fdisk) to be sure there are no system files left and install Win2K, letting it create the partion(s) - NTFS is the better file system, but I believe it can be a bit slower for games (but that may not matter so much these days).

A PITA, I know, but better in the long run unless you have hardware issues (Win98 is more forgiving than Win2K).

(oh yeah, and don't forget to back up your important stuff first)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I've backed up all of my stuff. How do I go about formatting my C: drive ad re-installing Win 2k? The CD I have isn't bootable, will that make a difference?

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Go into Dos and type format c:/s

That will format the disk and still leave the cd rom drivers loaded so you can use the cdrom to re-install with , don't re-boot it .

If you do you will need a bootdisk with cd-rom drivers, you can make one of them in windows first :D

·
Registered
439 Posts
Do you have a Win2K installation or upgrade disk?

If it is an upgrade disk then you will not be able to run setup from the command line (C:\). You need to go into the bootdisk directory on your Win2K disk and run makeboot. You will need 4 floppy disks for this and it will, as the name suggests, create a boot disk.

Boot from these disks and follow the instructions.

Rather than formatting the disk prior to installing, you could clear the partition table using fdisk (reboot to ms-dos prompt and run c:\windows\command\fdisk, select the delete option for all your partitions). Win2K will create the partition(s) during the installation - use NTFS when asked, it is the better file system.

If all goes to plan, you will have a shiny new Win2K system when the installation is complete. You can then put all your applications, etc back on.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again chaps. I muddled through with a Win 98 bootdisk, first using Fdisk and then some program that a mate had put on there to format it properly.
I've now completed a fully clean install and so far all appears to be ok, so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that this sorts it, as I'm out of ideas as to what to do next if it doesn't (other than bin my PC and start all over again :D)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts