Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After talking at work today got me thinking ..which can take corners quicker and which can take roundabouts quicker ?? Im not interested in the straights. after watching moto gp those bikes can take bends etc dam quick.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It would depend on the car, bike and driver/riders...

Generally I think if you have a good handling car it can take the corners a little quicker than a bike but then there are too many variables the rider might be insane for one!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Ah the age old question!

I was a biker first and always believed a bike could take corners quicker... BUT... You can't argue with the fact a car has twice as much grip, therefore (technically) they should be ale to go into and through a corner quicker. Comming out of a corner (I would have thought) would have been a bike's advantage, due to the acceleration...

But it all depends on the rider / driver, the road type, tyre compund, car's drive (FWD, RWD, 4WD), if the bike has has traction control etc... Oh and how big ya balls are! :p

Reluctently I'd say cars... But I always have a dam good go prooving myself wrong!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Diehard said:
3v0 Beat me too it!
Ah but you had more detail!

There was an episode of top gear (I think) that they had a race between a bike (not sure what but a fast one!) and a car (also not sure what and also a fast one!) with racing driver/rider's, from memory I think they were even in the end due to the car wasting the bike on corners and the bike blasting past on straights.

But I might have dreamt this also might have changed the outcome in my head since i watched it! :rucrazy:

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
3v0 said:

There was an episode of top gear (I think) that they had a race between a bike (not sure what but a fast one!) and a car (also not sure what and also a fast one!) with racing driver/rider's, from memory I think they were even in the end due to the car wasting the bike on corners and the bike blasting past on straights.

But I might have dreamt this also might have changed the outcome in my head since i watched it! :rucrazy:
Watched it the other day on You Tube. Was a GT4 Porshe against a FireBlade (I think will watch again to confirm). The Blade was ridden by Nial McKenzie and the GT4 by Jason Plato...

To be honest it wasn't a fair test as the car got in the way alot and Nial really didn't seem to be pushing hard enough (not much knee down). But it was Clarkson doing setting the testing up and you know how he hates bikes / bikers...

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,879 Posts
3v0 said:

The car was a porker, all I remember about the bike was that it was driven by someone who looked like a *** in his leathers. The car destroyed the bike through the corners. To answer the question, cars are quicker through corners (think of the contact patch of rubber).

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,879 Posts
Diehard said:
To be honest it wasn't a fair test
Two vehicles on track, why wasn't it fair? Cos you're a biker and you were finally proven wrong in all those arguments you've had down the pub about how fast your bike is? Not liking the results and the contest not being fair are two different things.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I was waiting for Aidy to put his thoughts in (as he loves bikes / bikers as much Clarkson) :D

Edit to my above. It was a Carrera 4 and a Yam R1... Just checked.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Aidy said:
Two vehicles on track, why wasn't it fair? Cos you're a biker and you were finally proven wrong in all those arguments you've had down the pub about how fast your bike is? Not liking the results and the contest not being fair are two different things.
Didn't I say above I believe cars are quicker in corner's Aidy??? I drive an Evo as well so not biast in any direction (unlike yourself)... I thought a time trial would have been a better comparison...

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,879 Posts
Diehard said:
Didn't I say above I believe cars are quicker in corner's Aidy??? I drive an Evo as well so not biast in any direction (unlike yourself)... I thought a time trial would have been a better comparison...
It was obvious to any casual observer that the car was vastly quicker through the corners, it didn't really matter how the test was carried out. It was likewise obvious that the bike left the car standing on the straights, again it didn't really matter how the test was done.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Aidy said:
It was obvious to any casual observer that the car was vastly quicker through the corners, it didn't really matter how the test was carried out. It was likewise obvious that the bike left the car standing on the straights, again it didn't really matter how the test was done.
Totally agree, that is how it was. But... Because I'm one of these people who like things equal. I'd have liked to have seen a test with the car and the bike as close as possible on power - weight ratios', same tyre compounds, seperate runs etc etc...

The result would probibly have been the same, but then I would have considered it TOTALLY fair / scentific... Not good TV, but hell then there would be no vaid argument over it's fairness. ;)

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Diehard said:
Totally agree, that is how it was. But... Because I'm one of these people who like things equal. I'd have liked to have seen a test with the car and the bike as close as possible on power - weight ratios', same tyre compounds, seperate runs etc etc...

The result would probibly have been the same...
I may well have missed the joke, but wouldn't a car kill a bike with the same power/weight ratio etc, simply because it has substantially more grip? :confused:

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
youngsyr said:
I may well have missed the joke, but wouldn't a car kill a bike with the same power/weight ratio etc, simply because it has substantially more grip? :confused:
More than likly (if it don't spin everywhere), I was just rounding off variables... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Aidy said:
I'm just happy I didn't dream it and I even remembered the outcome properly! :cool:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I saw the episodes on top gear with the cars Vs bikes and if I remember rightly, the cars were quicker through the bends, but where they really gave the bikes a trouncing was on braking, they sailed past the bikes under braking on the lead-up to a bend.

From my own personal experience (I'm not a biker), I have followed bikes while out in my Westfield through country lanes and was left miles behind when we got near any open straights.

For as much as I was left behind on the straights, I was bored of being stuck behind them when we were in the bends :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
cars are faster than bikes round corners and better on the brakes too.......its a proven fact.

Bikes are very very quick in a line....and probably fun in a i'm gonna kill myself kinda way but thats about it.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts