Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people...

its probably a dumb q's but can you get any bigger disks, with caliper spacing brackets to use with the std brembos (E7) instead of going for a AP/alcon etc... setup????

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do you mind if I ask why you want bigger discs?

It's not generally recommended to space out a lug mounted caliper like this since it will increase caliper flex, not a good thing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The reason I asked is because sometimes people have bad experience of the standard brakes and assume the only way to improve them is to go for bigger discs. For those who may remember me from a previous employer will know that I'm an advocate of 'bigger isn't necessarily better', it's braking efficiency that's important. Therefore, with a good 2-piece disc and high quality pad you can actually have better braking performance than someone with a big brake kit...and save money!

Of course if you're interested in a bigger disc for aesthetics then that's a different matter! :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right oh, so what r the best "cosmetic/aesthetic" bigger disks then??

anything for the rear aswell??

·
Banned
60 Posts
A simlple and cost effective upgrade is a two piece disc assembly and some decent brake pads, either a sport pad or a competition material dependant upon your requirements.
Perfomance Friction can help you with all aspects of this upgrade.
Spacing the caliper on a bigger brake disc is a messy upgrade and will probably give you more problems that it solves.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There's really a wide range of bigger discs to choose from that many manufacturers can provide, but if I were to make a recommendation it would be to go with a std size 2-piece disc and high performance pads to suit the exisitng Brembo caliper.

If you care to take a look at my website below there's further details on there of the 2-piece discs and pads that Project Mu provide. If anything appeals please feel free to drop me a line :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi Mark,

If I can draw your attention to this thread, where I've posted the pricing of various upgrade options:

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=247420

The rear discs are more expensive basically because it incorporates the handbrake and of course we don't sell as many as fronts so manufacturing costs are higher...I know it probably seems odd that the rear is more expensive but that's basically why. I have front discs in stock but would need to have the rears sent over from Japan. If you're interested drop me a pm and I'll find out a leadtime on the rears for you.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
47 Posts
problem with bigger brakes

hi we have fitted bigger brakes to our evo 6 rally car for tarmac events ,Alcon 365 mm on front,but we are getting problems with knock off ,we have to pump brake twice to bring them back to where they should be,can anyone help.(sorry if this is in the wrong place but this is my first post.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi,

Do the discs have float in them? If they are 2-piece floating discs then there should be about 0.25mm of float, which should be uniform around the disc.

Presumably the pedal remains firm once you have pumped twice?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,

Do the discs have float in them? If they are 2-piece floating discs then there should be about 0.25mm of float, which should be uniform around the disc.

Presumably the pedal remains firm once you have pumped twice?
yes the pedals fine when pumped,they are not floating type,do you think that is the problem and would it be expensive to sort.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes that is definitely the problem. I assume you're using a competition pad such as Ferodo or PFC, therefore what's happening is the increased friction is leading to a high operating temperature, which is causing the disc to distort. When the driver releases the brakes because the disc is in distortion it basically knocks the pads back in the calipers.

Best bet is to speak to Alcon and find out if they offer a floating conversion kit, but the problem you'll probably find is that the holes in both your disc and mounting bell will be round, whereas either the disc or mounting bell should have provision for radial thermal expansion and this typically is in the form of an elongated hole or 'U' shaped cut out in the bell.

You might also want to check what rate of anti-knock back springs you have behind the pistons, because this can also help to reduce knock-off but doesn't tackle the actual problem (I'm assuming you have 6-piston Alcon calipers).

I hope this helps and you're able to find a cost effective solution. If you're ever in the market for brake pads please bear P.Mu in mind, I've been having much success with them in motorsport :smthumbup

·
Registered
47 Posts
yes there 6 piston Alcon but i dont thing they have springs in the back unless the came in the caliper,do you think that would help a bit,so you dont think it is because of the diameter of the disc and it is maybe pushing pistons back when cornering.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Certainly, if the calipers don't have anti-knock back springs you will have problems for sure. From memory the typical rating is 6lb for Alcon. One spring per piston should suffice...I know of people that double them up but this can then lead to drag in the brakes because the force of the spring overcomes the rollback of the seals.

The purpose of float in the discs is twofold; 1) to provide thermal expansion since there are two dissimilar materials (aluminium mounting bell/cast iron disc), which will help reduce distortion of the disc and 2) to allow for any deflection in the hub, which can be a result of fitting a larger disc to a standard hub. So you're absolutely right, with a bigger disc you are likely to see greater deflection in the hub if it is still standard.

My recommendation would be to start with floating the disc and fitting anti knock-back springs, this will make a huge difference and for the least cost. Then it's about making smaller differences but these usually cost more, such as stiffening up the axle hub and bearing. It might be worth speaking to someone like ADR (I believe they've changed their name recently) and see what modifications they apply to their hubs for rallying.

I guarantee if you make these changes it will transform the pedal. Then of course you'll be looking to improve the brakes further, at which point drop me a pm and we can talk pads! :D

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
discs

i can say the performance friction 2 piece discs with the 01 pads are a real good set up i would recomend these as i have used them at donnington 11 april will put up another poost on the 01 pad how it coped

1 - 20 of 28 Posts