Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day guys

I'v been searching all sorts of places to try and figure out the best tyres to put on my baby. She's currently fitted with Grid II's and one potenza. This is as arrived from Japan. The current sizes are 205/60/15. I believe it is possible to play with the sizes a bit but not sure what to do for the best. I am hoping the tyres will last the summer, I have a track day booked for april (my first). Do I go for track bias, road or what. She is not a daily driver but there is nowt to say that the track day won't be wet!

Please help, your experience is much appreciated.

John

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right,

seems I'v not got so many choices as you guys with bigger rims!!

P zero's are out, as are PS2's and Potenza's.

So, Anyone any experience of P6000's?

·
Registered
583 Posts
not sure why potenzas are out.

I got my Potenza RE720s fitted just before xmas. 205/60R15. really good tyre so far. solid sidewall and very progressive. not too sure on ultimate grip as the previous tyres were autobacs snow tyres :gay:

re720s were fitted from blackcirles.com £68 ish a corner.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, thats worth knowing.

I found blackcicles and your right, potenza's will fit.

Just trying to decide on them or see what Yoko's I can try.

Also the Toyo prox cf-1 keeps cropping up.

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
60S Are too tall. Get it on 205 55 15. TOYO T1R OR TOYO 888. Rae. Maybe even 205 50 15. Try Camskill and Mytres.

·
Registered
583 Posts
RaeTurbo said:
60S Are too tall. Get it on 205 55 15. TOYO T1R OR TOYO 888. Rae. Maybe even 205 50 15. Try Camskill and Mytres.
personally i wouldn't use the toyo t1r as it seems like marmite - you either love them or hate them. seen more poor reviews than i care to remember.

60s are the stock size. the potenza has a solid sidewall unlike the t1rs so this profile seems to work fine. problem with camskill and mytyres is you have to take the tyres for fitting elsewhere. blackcircles quote fitted cost and tell you where to go (you normally get cheaper if you go direct to where they tell you to go).

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
60S are too tall Imo they
are far better on 55s I used 888s on my E2 (50s) and they were awesome (done a 72 second lap at the Haynes standard E2!) I have t1rs on my e4and they are great but they are 40 series so not much sidewall to flex :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
yeah that's cool. just means your speedo is reading high as the rolling radius is wrong. if you do a comparison, when your speedo says 60 you are actually doing 58.

probably would help with acceleration as it would shorten the gearing :)

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See, the thing is,mysticker inside my door says Ican fit 50s, 55 or 60s. So which one makes speedo read correct, and how much difference does it really make?

Toyo's are cheaper and look a good option but I have read many bad points bout them,basically the t1-rs seem to have weak side walls and the 888 seems to be too soft, going off after possibly two hard track laps, altho on a standard car this may not be the case.

Black circles do seem the best placeto buy tho'.

Stillnot sure what to do for best, guess a decision will just have to be made.

Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
583 Posts
jbeez_yuall said:
See, the thing is,mysticker inside my door says Ican fit 50s, 55 or 60s. So which one makes speedo read correct, and how much difference does it really make?

Toyo's are cheaper and look a good option but I have read many bad points bout them,basically the t1-rs seem to have weak side walls and the 888 seems to be too soft, going off after possibly two hard track laps, altho on a standard car this may not be the case.

Black circles do seem the best placeto buy tho'.

Stillnot sure what to do for best, guess a decision will just have to be made.

Thanks for all your help guys.
seriously the stock tyre is a 205/60R15. any less in the sidewall will put the speedo out. the t1-rs do have a soft sidewall which is really bad unless you have a low profile (45 or less).

i did a lot of research before fitting the potenzas. they are the best tyre in that size imho. haven't been dissapointed at all.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fair play.

Decision made,think that is the general conclusion I have been heading towards anyway.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
583 Posts
jbeez_yuall said:
One more little question.

Speed rating? V upto 149 mph, Correct?
V is up to 150mph yes mate. Don't really intend doing more than that in my Evo, so I figure it's okay!

·
Registered
583 Posts
jbeez_yuall said:
Thats what I thought.

Good to know someone else thinks the same tho'
haha. let us know how you get on mate.

oh and it's also worth having a full wheel alignment if you haven't had one for a bit. make sure those tyres are pointing in the right direction!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah plan on getting that done first.

Have you set this to standard settings?
I assume most alignment guys won't know what stock is, I'v found specs in MLR handbook, but nowhere else!

·
Registered
583 Posts
jbeez_yuall said:
Yeah plan on getting that done first.

Have you set this to standard settings?
I assume most alignment guys won't know what stock is, I'v found specs in MLR handbook, but nowhere else!
yeah. went in armed with the MLR settings - it's also in the articles on here in a slightly easier format. had mine set to std and it's really awesome. much much better, but having said that mine was way way out.

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
You will still be better off with 205 55 15s which is also stock and what most come over here on. Unless they are on the jap snow tyres(205 60 15). Cheers Rae.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts